Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Info needed

cmerrick

Corvette
1971 LT1
I am planning on a build project that is based on a C3 chassis, driveline and suspension. I have a lot of background working with Chevy's, but not specifically with C3 Vettes. What are the pros and cons of the various years that make up the C3's? Any potential problems with any of the years I need to watch out for? I plan on swapping in a fuel injected crate motor with a Tremec 5 speed. When complete it will see street and track use. Thanks for all of your unput.

Welcome to the CAC, cmerrick!
I can't answer yuor question as well as many other people here. (The combined knowledge base with people here at the CAC is unsurpassed!)
I can tell you that the essential characteristics of the frames are the same from (I think) 1966 though 1982. There were differences in exhaust routing and transmission crossmembers, but other than that, I can't tell you anything else pertinent to your question. Don't worry, this thread will likely garner you plenty of responses, unless one of the members comes forward and gives you a complete laundry list. :D

Again,
WELCOME
TO
THE

:CAC

80-82 use the aluminum Dana differential and a batwing mount. 68 frames lack two reinforcements and use 67 type core support mounts. 69-74 cost more than 75-79 frames. Some opinions are the 78-79 frames are the strongest but I can't confirm this. On any frame you use look for cracks around the front spring pockets, steering mounts, lower a-frame mounts, and bent lower a-frame mounts. Fully weld all partial welds and box in front extensions, engine mounts, and differential crossmember mounts. There are also places to add additional braceing to strengthen the frame.
Mike

Mike, thanks for the info. I'm assuming the cast differentials are stronger than the aluminum version?

Mike's the man on this stuff. He really knows his way around the dirty underbelly of the C3

:wHi Mike. Your web sight is looking good.

Tom

I am planning on a build project that is based on a C3 chassis, driveline and suspension. I have a lot of background working with Chevy's, but not specifically with C3 Vettes. What are the pros and cons of the various years that make up the C3's? Any potential problems with any of the years I need to watch out for? I plan on swapping in a fuel injected crate motor with a Tremec 5 speed. When complete it will see street and track use. Thanks for all of your unput.

To oversimply your question- the front suspension is pretty much identical for years 1968 through 1982, however there are two types of rear end carriers in the rear suspension. They are divided into the 1968-1979 and then 1980-1982 carriers. I snagged a few images of the differences (one from the OTHER vette site)

Here is the 1968-1979-

alldone.jpg

Here is the 1980-1982-

rear_susp-1982A_a.jpg

As you can see, the rear end cover is also the butress for the rear end carrier. It is also aluminum and mounts a bit different from the 1968-79 system.

The spindles, trailing arms, half shafts, strt rods, and shocks all pretty much cross-reference. The rear end gear, carrier, and the housing are the main differences.

Again, there are subtle small differences- however the rear differential assembly is where you'll see the most.

Cmerrick, yes the cast iron rear end is stronger. But it can be adapted to the 80-82 batwing quite easily if you end up with that frame.
Tom and Andre, hi guys. It's been a while since we've seen each other. I still think about Blackdog's pool party. We need to hook up again some time. The rebuilding business is getting quite busy. I really should add it to the website. LOL! I've been building trailing trailing arms for one of the major corvette parts suppliers and have been promoting my own fully welded and boxed stock style arm. I haven't been able to get to the CAC as much as I would like. I still need to go visit Bud since he's only a few hours away.
Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom