Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Injector Upgrade

Paddywhack

Corvette
1986 Dark red coupe
Hi all, Could somebody tell me what engine modifications warrant an injector upgrade? Just wondering while the engine is back at the machine shop if I need to chnge to a larger injector. Bored .60 over, long tube headers, true duals, no cat, no EGR, Lunati cam, Custom chip from Harris.
;shrug
Thanks

What year?

Guessing it is 24# injector, they are supposed to be good up to 400chp.
There is a guy on another forum who is running stock 24# w/420chp.
If you are over that, upgrade to 28# and upgrade your pump.

I have an 1986 Coupe. The block is early 80's four bolt main and I'm using the stock '86 TPI on it.

If the injectors are stock, the probably are kinda long in the tooth. Take them out and have them tested first

If the injectors are stock, the probably are kinda long in the tooth. Take them out and have them tested first

No need to take out and test, just remove the connector and test the OHM's, under 13 replace.
If you change out injectors, remember to get a tune.
Put new injectors in and run with Datamaster recording, the send to your favorite tuner for a tune or take the car to a local tuner.

No need to take out and test, just remove the connector and test the OHM's, under 13 replace.

I would say that is a preliminary test. It tests the solenoids of the injectors. But does it tell if the pintle is worn or clogged with crud?

true. All the ohms testing does is tell you the solenoid is within specs. To check the pintles sealing for wear, that comes from aleak-down test by pressurizing the system and watching how long and how much pressure drops with the system off so all injectors should be closed.

When I replaced mine 2 yrs ago, it would hold almost full pressure for nearly an hour.

What year?

Guessing it is 24# injector, they are supposed to be good up to 400chp.
There is a guy on another forum who is running stock 24# w/420chp.
If you are over that, upgrade to 28# and upgrade your pump.

Stock injectors are 22# for 86. During my motor build, I replaced my injectors with 24# and they were maxing out well before they should have. I was using datamaster to follow the pulse width and duty cycle of the injector. I ultimately went with 30# injectors. Much better control.

If I were doing all that work and the engine is apart I would replace the injectors if they are the original OEM .
:thumb
Would not even waste the time testing them when you can get latest injector technology for $170 from Jon @ FIC
Everyone who has installed the Bosch lll's in TPI cars has given rave reviews
Better starting , better perf / better economy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom