Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Onsumption 2003 z06

DukeOfEarl

Corvette
2003 Corvette Z06
On my computer I got a reading of low oil.
I got home it was down 1/4 to 1/2 quart.
Is this normal?
I have a crate motor and have the LS7 pistons.
I have about 2 k miles on her and was wondering if this is normal.
Here is what my engine is. I was told to use redline 10w 30 synthetic

FORGED 383 STROKER with a forged Lunati crank, forged Lunati H-beam rods, forged wiseco -3 pistons then have it balanced & blueprinted to back up his claim, other power adders include a Powerbond 25% under driven harmonic balancer, cloyes billet true roller timing chain, spinning a custom grind COMP camshaft, pushing LS7 lifters, to open MANLEY Stainless steel valves ( to fix the FATAL FLAW), ARP bolts holding down the 243 Cathedral port heads, keep the valves closed are Precision Race Springs, breathing through a VARARAM cold air intake, out of a set of TEXAS –SPEED long tube Stainless steel headers & catted x-pipe through the factory Titanium Exhaust just to screw with people, they flow great & are lighter than ANY aftermarket exhaust. All these parts come together & work in perfect harmony with a FASTERPROMS tune by Jeremy Formato to lay down 450 REAR WHEEL HP!!!

On my computer I got a reading of low oil.
I got home it was down 1/4 to 1/2 quart.
Is this normal?
I have a crate motor and have the LS7 pistons.
I have about 2 k miles on her and was wondering if this is normal.
Here is what my engine is. I was told to use redline 10w 30 synthetic

FORGED 383 STROKER with a forged Lunati crank, forged Lunati H-beam rods, forged wiseco -3 pistons then have it balanced & blueprinted to back up his claim, other power adders include a Powerbond 25% under driven harmonic balancer, cloyes billet true roller timing chain, spinning a custom grind COMP camshaft, pushing LS7 lifters, to open MANLEY Stainless steel valves ( to fix the FATAL FLAW), ARP bolts holding down the 243 Cathedral port heads, keep the valves closed are Precision Race Springs, breathing through a VARARAM cold air intake, out of a set of TEXAS –SPEED long tube Stainless steel headers & catted x-pipe through the factory Titanium Exhaust just to screw with people, they flow great & are lighter than ANY aftermarket exhaust. All these parts come together & work in perfect harmony with a FASTERPROMS tune by Jeremy Formato to lay down 450 REAR WHEEL HP!!!

1/4 to 1/2 quart in 2000 miles is perfectly acceptable, especially with the modded engine in your vehicle.

oil level

1/4 to 1/2 quart in 2000 miles is perfectly acceptable, especially with the modded engine in your vehicle.

Thank you for your fast repley and have a couple of more questions.
My engine oil level is just right below the hash mark and should it be at the top or middle. So right below the hash mark would that be a quart?
Also I can't seem to get the oil filler cap off. It only turns so far.
How far do you turn it to get it off. I tried a 1/4 of the way and then tried lifting while twisting and no luck.
Was going to drive 60 miles to my mechanic but I don't know if that is a good idea.
Thenk You for your fast reply LLC5

Thank you for your fast repley and have a couple of more questions.
My engine oil level is just right below the hash mark and should it be at the top or middle. So right below the hash mark would that be a quart?
Also I can't seem to get the oil filler cap off. It only turns so far.
How far do you turn it to get it off. I tried a 1/4 of the way and then tried lifting while twisting and no luck.
Was going to drive 60 miles to my mechanic but I don't know if that is a good idea.
Thenk You for your fast reply LLC5

The bottom of the hash marks is about 1 quart on my dipstick. Most manufacturers will tell you that oil usage of up to 1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable, depending on how the engine is driven. I had no clue how far I turn my stock OEM oil cap to remove, I just twist and pull. I went down to my garage and and checked, and on my stock '98 I turn the Mobil 1 cap counterclockwise until the "en" in engine is facing towards me (or the right front fender), that is where the slot is to wiggle the cap up. Mine was actually very tight to remove this time for some reason, either that or I just never paid attention before (which is probably the case). Good luck with it. :)

I'm amazed that the warning kicked in with such a moderate loss of oil. I've never got a warning on any car until I hit a quart or more down.

The bottom of the hash marks is about 1 quart on my dipstick. Most manufacturers will tell you that oil usage of up to 1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable, depending on how the engine is driven. I had no clue how far I turn my stock OEM oil cap to remove, I just twist and pull. I went down to my garage and and checked, and on my stock '98 I turn the Mobil 1 cap counterclockwise until the "en" in engine is facing towards me (or the right front fender), that is where the slot is to wiggle the cap up. Mine was actually very tight to remove this time for some reason, either that or I just never paid attention before (which is probably the case). Good luck with it. :)

LLC5 thank you for great advice.
I have been running Redline synthetic oil 5w30 but have to go to Tampa to get it.
So if I just put a quart of Mobile one in till Monday do you think it will matter?

hash marks dip stick

1more question.
So when oil is filled will it be at the top of the hash mark?

Wish I kept my 66 Vette.

1more question.
So when oil is filled will it be at the top of the hash mark?

Wish I kept my 66 Vette.

Yes, it should be at the full mark when cold, I usually let it sit overnight after running the engine for a while. When the engine is hot it may be above the full mark a little which is normal for expansion. You can add Mobil 1 without any problems, but if there is any way you can get the correct Redline oil, I would highly recommend that route since you are not ready for any oil change at 2000 miles. Adding different brands or weights of oil should only be done in emergency situations, and then changing the oil and filter afterwards as soon as possible. Good luck with it. :)

Duke, a quart low may be acceptable in 2000 miles, but to me that seems like a lot. I've got 5000 or so on this oil change and it is still full. Granted, mine is a totally stock LS1. but it also has almost 94k on the clock. I'd darn sure ask my engine builder, not to undermine or question LLC5, as he's one sharp cookie.

Duke, a quart low may be acceptable in 2000 miles, but to me that seems like a lot. I've got 5000 or so on this oil change and it is still full. Granted, mine is a totally stock LS1. but it also has almost 94k on the clock. I'd darn sure ask my engine builder, not to undermine or question LLC5, as he's one sharp cookie.

I agree, I wouldn't be happy with it either but considering the mods to the engine it could be normal. Letting the engine builder know of the issue is a very good idea, and I would document it with time, date, and mileage of the vehicle at the time of contact since that part is easy to do and free. I would also recommend doing at least three different sealed tests to confirm the exact amount of oil being used in a given mileage as sometimes the first check is inaccurate, and having the engine builder do the sealed tests would be even better for documentation if at all possible. I have seen new vehicles take 5-10,000 miles to seat the rings properly and not use as much oil. My wife's off the show room brand new turbo engine stopped using oil at about 7,000 miles, and believe me I was monitoring it closely for warranty reasons. :)

I've had close to 20 new cars and or new engines over the years, some use oil for a couple of thousand miles some don't seal up until 7k-10k miles. Monitor and keep it full to the "top" of the hash mark when cold as LLC5 indicated.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom