Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Injectors/Code 45

gmboileau

Corvette
1990 Red Convertible
I have read with great interest about the various problems with Multec fuel injectors and have discovered that this most likely the cause of the Code 45-rich exhaust on my 90 L98.

I measured the resistance of the injector on cyl 4 and it was about 5 ohms the rest were about 16 ohms. I used a scan tool to watch the O2 voltage and integrator values at idle and noted that the O2 voltage was steady at about 800mV and the integrator was 80 both indicating a rich condition. With the injector wire to cly 4 disconnected the O2 voltage fluctated as it should and the integrator climbed to 112 (not perfect but much better). It's seems hard to believe but with the injector wire disconnected the engine actually runs a little smoother at idle and the vacuum reading is a little higher.

I am going to replace the faulty injector and have noted that there are several options like Ford/Bosch pink tops ....however I would like to keep the car as original as possible and keep my costs down.

Any thoughts of my observations/conclusions??

Also, I was wondering if anyone had any Multec injectors 22lbs in their parts bin that they are willing to sell?

Soon after I bought my 90 I noticed and irregular idle that would come and go .After awhile I notice that it would idle better when cold which is when the ecm calls for more fuel. Last summer I check the ohm readings and found one at 7 and another at 9. They are the OEM injectors.When I replaced my intake gasket for oil leak reasons I replace those two injectors and it solved that problem. The strange thing is I didn't get any codes. ;shrug

Glenn
:w

Hi Glenn

The problem you describe is very similar to mine....did you replace all the injectors or just the faulty ones? Stock or after market? Did you get you get the others cleaned?

Cheers
Gary

I only replaced the two bad injectors. I ordered the OEM replacements but the parts person entered the wrong number and I got some from Standard. They have a little different nozzle but seem to work fine for now . In the future I plan on replacing them all with new OEM.I did nothing with the others except replace all the O rings.

Glenn

Gary,

A popular alternative to OEM injectors are the "pink top" injectors from Five O Motorsports. Matter of fact, I just sold my set of new pink tops for $165, I bought them from Five O and never used them.

The sets sell for about $200 so I would replace all of them rather than have to go through all that work again when something goes wrong with another injector. Being that the injectors are 16+ years old, something going wrong with another injector wouldn't be out of the question. Also keep in mind that today's products are made to a much tighter tolerance than products that old.

I agree with edmond about replacing them all. I didn't in the intrest of staying on friendly terms with the wallet at the time.I do believe that in the future I will be replacing them all.

Glenn

G Winter said:
I agree with edmond about replacing them all. I didn't in the intrest of staying on friendly terms with the wallet at the time.I do believe that in the future I will be replacing them all.

Glenn

Hi Glenn/Edmond

Thanks for the tips ...alot of food for thought!!!

Gary

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom