Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Installed my new Accel injectors this weekend

tyrel

On my L98. It took me all day long yesterday. This was the first time I had the intake apart in twelve years of owning C4s, all I have to say is that next time I'll pay someone to do it.

I decided to replace the EGR valve, fuel pressure regulator, and all the o-rings in the fuel rails. Some numbskull used proprietary screws in the FPR, had to remove them with a vise grip pliers, that was an hour's worth of time. NAPA gave me the wrong EGR valve, had to drive back to get a new one. My T-40 Torx socket broke halfway through the job, it just sheared clean off, had to drive back to get another one.

Anyway, it was educational having the fuel rail off the car, and pulling the injectors from the intake manifold, they just popped right out. As for pulling them from the rails, you really have to have strong arms. Of course one of the retaining clips broke, so one of the new injectors is just kind of floating there, but I don't think it'll go anywhere, the rail holds it in place. It was actually fairly easy to remove the intake runners, both of the hidden bolts were surprisingly easy to remove with a long extension, I was prepared to spend an hour getting to them, but it took me five minutes.

So after new injectors, new distributor cap and rotor, new plug wires and plugs, new fuel filter, and new valve cover gaskets, and new gaskets all over the intake and everything snugged up tight, I started the car and it idled horribly and there was a terrible hissing sound. Vacuum leak, of course. I forgot to connect the vacuum hose on the passenger side of the throttle body. After plugging it in, the car idled beautifully, just like from the factory. And the Accel injectors are killer, they have a brushed metal finish that blends into the rest of the intake like they are stock; if you listen closely you can hear them ticking away just like a watch. This project was well worth the time I spent on it.

Hi Tyrel.
I have an 85 4+3 and had the plenum and runners off together with the fuel rails. To do the same as you did. The FPR has what they call safety torx which has a "pin" in the center of thehole. You can buy these safety torx bits in the shop. I lost hours of finding them as I did not get them up with pliers. I am now in the state of changing the injectors as they are stock. i wonder the flow of your injectors. People say that on the 85 the injectors was 24lbs/hour. What did you install. Are they pintle types? I also thought of repair those I have.

I did not know those stupid FPR screws were stock, and I wish I knew beforehand that you need a special tool to remove them. Anyway, these are the injectors I bought, although mine have a silver-colored body with black plastic connector top:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ACC%2D150824&view=32&N=4294870762+400020+4294908216+4294908189+4294924930&appfilter=1#Application

I did my research thoroughly before buying these, and I'm not disappointed with the quality. Also they are exactly the same size as the stock ones.

I also thought about repairing my stock injectors and putting them back in, so I'm sending the old ones to these guys to have them refurbished:

http://www.cruzinperformance.com/

I don't know, maybe I'll put the old ones back in again next time I have the fuel rail off.

Congratualtions on a job well done! :upthumbs

Sounds like you did your research. You certainly did a lot of work this time around.

Accel injectors are great. I know there is a lot of negative press out here about them. I finally figured out why. Folks buy bigger injectors than they need and do not reprogram their PCM. Then they wonder why their vehicle does not run right! You can go to the Accel website tech page and read all the funny stories about how folks size their injectors! :L

You put in the stock rated injectors. Very smart! :D

SAVE THE WAVE! :w

Injector Cleaning

I sent four injectors for an 86 Toyota MR2 to a company called Witchhunter.com for cleaning and was really pleased with the results. They flow test tehm before and after and give you a report. I think it was $15 per. Timely service. Made a big difference in MPG. # 4 was not atomizing. Before anyone says anythng, I run a couple of MR2s for my kids. Cheap, dependable, and no comprehensive insurance! :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom