Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Installed Vortex Rammer & Powerduct today...not much (if any) difference?!

Mean In Green

Corvette
1998 Fairway Green Metallic/Light Oak A4 Coupe
I read that after installing the subject mods you have to drive around for a few miles so the computer can "relearn" before you notice a real difference in power. Well, I've driven about 10 miles since and haven't felt a difference. Is there something special I need to do? I'll be "downloading" my PLII (which I actually have believe it or not) to my car once it's back from getting the exhaust installed on Tuesday...should that take care of the computer "relearn" issue then (if there even is an issue)? Thoughts & advice please... As always, thanks!

Haven't seen the Vortex instructions, but Halltech mentions a five-minute idle relearn cycle.

Here's the stuff from another forum:

The PCM will automatically adjust the air fuel ratios in all 17 Closed Loop fuel cells. This takes about 100 miles of driving. Pulling the fuses can reset the process, but will not make it happen much faster.

WOT will never reset, since it is OL1 or Open Loop. The A/F ratio is factory preset. There are ways to change the WOT a/f ratio however, they are usually best done by programmers.

One manual learn process is idle. The throttle plate setting for fuel cell 19 and 18 need to be done is this way:

Bring the water temp up to 176 or above. Idle for 5 minutes with A/C off; shut ignition off then for 30 seconds. Fuel cell 19 is set.

Restart and turn A/C on. Same as above: 5 minutes at idle, off for 30 seconds. Fuel Cell 18 is set.

Fuel cells 18 and 19 are closed loop, but will not reset automatically. This same procedure needs to be done if the battery is disconnected or the PCM is reset.

Jim Hall
Halltech

I'm still wondering if any of my concerns really matter considering I'm installing the TTS PLII this week... Won't that rectify the whole "relearn" thing and have my engine running at peak performance with the new mods?

Mean In Green :confused

I dunno, the dog ate that page of my book. That part's beyond my experience. Hopefully, someone else knows. Either way, good luck...

You would be the first I heard of that did not get an improvement from a vortex. Most of the improvement though is above about 3500 rpm. If you take it to a drag strip of dyno you will definatly see the difference. Most people though say they can feel the difference. I could feel the difference witht he intake mod I did but it was suttle in terms of seat-of-the-pants feel. At the track however, I droped 0.3 sec and into the 12's.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom