Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

installing new brake rotors and pads

napacruzerC5

Corvette
'01 TR M6, '07 MS A6
After 46k miles on my 2001 M6 Coupe and a 2k road trip coming up I thought it was about time for new brakes. Found a set of slotted & dimpled (not cross drilled) rotors AND semi-metallic pads for $409 shipped. A little bling to add to my mostly stock C5. So my question is: aside for the difficulty in breaking loose the bolts holding the rotor brackets what other potential pitfalls am I looking for? I'm not doing the install; entrusting the work to a non-Corvette specific shop which maintains all my vehicles. Thought they may welcome Corvette specific tips for the removal/install.

I think it's pretty straight forward.....it's just another Chebby. :D

Do it yourself,its easy and when your done you'll feel good about it,take your time and enjoy a day in the garage with your vette!:upthumbs

After 46k miles on my 2001 M6 Coupe and a 2k road trip coming up I thought it was about time for new brakes. Found a set of slotted & dimpled (not cross drilled) rotors AND semi-metallic pads for $409 shipped. A little bling to add to my mostly stock C5. So my question is: aside for the difficulty in breaking loose the bolts holding the rotor brackets what other potential pitfalls am I looking for? I'm not doing the install; entrusting the work to a non-Corvette specific shop which maintains all my vehicles. Thought they may welcome Corvette specific tips for the removal/install.

There is really nothing special about corvette brake parts install except the parking brake. Before they install the new rear rotors, make sure they adjust the parking brake shoes. Also it would be a good time to flush the brake fluid. Good luck with it.

Do it yourself,its easy and when your done you'll feel good about it,take your time and enjoy a day in the garage with your vette!:upthumbs

:upthumbs Too bad this smilie can't show 2 left thumbs. The last time I did my own brake job was back in the '80s on my 70-something Ford station wagon tow car (for my SCCA Solo II FP Fiat X1/9). Needed help on that one too.

While I may be willing to tackle the job myself, the one who controls the $$$ in my house would rather pay someone else to do it than trust me with the job :chuckle

I would even suggest using new caliper bracket bolts. Those suckers are torqued on there 125 lbs. :W The factory ones come with lock tite on them.

It's a pretty straightforward job. Go with ceramic pads, definitely cuts down on the brake dust much more than semi-metallic.

I usually get my stuff from www.rockauto.com but know guys who have used these guys www.brakeperformance.com with great results. When I changed mine, I went with stainless brake lines and speed bleeders as well so I could bleed the brakes myself instead of the old fashioned 2 person method.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom