Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Intake&Headers

Joe Potipco

Corvette
1981 Silver Coupe.
NEED A LITTLE HELP,I have a 81 vette, and all stock engine,I like to buy a proformance intake manifold.I like to use the same carb.which is the best manifold to buy? for my year of car,Eldenbrock ? if so,what model number?Same question for the headers. Hard to find the right anwsers ,not too many people in Canada drive around in 81 vettes.My car has air and automatic and EGR.
Best Regards, Joe.

For driveablility sake, do not put a single plane manifold on, It will absolutely kill all the low end on a stock engine. Definately use a good dual plane intake. Edelbrock says most of their Performer and Performer RPM manifolds will not fit under a corvette hood. Many do not have a problem with this and some do. I use a Performer and a 2 inch tall filter and it fits my L48 hood on my 76. the Performer manifold would probably be your best choice for a stock motor as the stock engine does not have a large enough cam to support the 6500 rpm top side of the RPM intake and it does nothing for power until after 1500 rpm, whereas the Performer gives you power increase from idle to 5600 rpm. I run Hooker headers, the cheap ones, because it seems most of the better long tube headers start eating up ground clearance. I have a lot of speed bumps to deal with. Call Edelbrock, their advise is Free.

Hey,Joe welcome to CAC!!!
hope you enjoy the vette as well as the forums!!!!!!!!
be sure to check out the l-81 registry and register your '81 if you haven't already done so!!!!
good luck with your mods!!!
don't forget to post some pics of your vette!!!!!

NEED A LITTLE HELP,I have a 81 vette, and all stock engine,I like to buy a proformance intake manifold.I like to use the same carb.which is the best manifold to buy? for my year of car,Eldenbrock ? if so,what model number?Same question for the headers. Hard to find the right anwsers ,not too many people in Canada drive around in 81 vettes.My car has air and automatic and EGR.
Best Regards, Joe.

Performer will fit under my stock '76 hood using the stock air cleaner.

Performer RPM fits under my stock hood when using a 7/8" drop base air cleaner with an open 3" element.

When i bought my 1982 it had an Edelbrock performer intake, holley 4-barrel carb, and a 3-inch open element air filter. The air filter base does have a drop, but i'm not sure how much. It fight, but was pretty close. I replaced the edelbrock intake with a Holley, because the edelbrock was old and it cracked while i was working on it.

The car had more pep with the edelbrock, but when i installed the Holley intake i also adjusted the carb and engine timing, so i'm not sure if the manifold caused the change in power.

You should be ok on clearance, but it may be pretty close.

Good luck, and enjoy the car.

Joe, first and foremost, welcome to the :CAC:
Please stop into the new member section and introduce yourself!

As for you direct question, I couldn't answer your question about part numbers, but someone probably could given enough time. Or, you might want to consider checking out Summit. Their people are usually pretty accurate with their information.

Same thing with the headers question. I have a pair of Hooker Competition headers that are up for sale that will bolt right up to your engine, as I had 'em on mine. (I don't think that is a difference between my L48 and your L81 in terms of header fitment.)

headers

Actually, i was thinking of putting new headers on my 1982, so i'll be interested to see what everyone recommends. I wonder how hard it will be to get the old ones off? The bolts have been in place for 25+ years. I may need a very big wrench.

Do you have pics of the headers you're selling? and why did you take them off?

Thanks for the tips,guys,EVO, I really like that blue on your car!Some day down the road when I need a paint job, that's the blue I want. Best Regards Joe.

Thanks for the tips,guys,EVO, I really like that blue on your car!Some day down the road when I need a paint job, that's the blue I want. Best Regards Joe.
Thanks, Joe. :beer

I wonder how hard it will be to get the old ones off? The bolts have been in place for 25+ years. I may need a very big wrench.
Do you have pics of the headers you're selling? and why did you take them off?
Some of my bolts broke off in the original cast-iron exhaust manifold. Somehow, my mechanic managed get get the remains out of of the OEM heads. I'm sure it helps that the heads are iron as well. I remember I was able to sell the OEM's on eBay for a pretty decent penny!

I took off my Hooker Competition headers because I went to the Hooker SuperCompetition headers, and ceramic coated. There's nothing wrong with the ones I took off. I just wanted ceramic coated. I can snap some pics of the the set I took off.

..... if you can find an older 327-CID/365-HP intake from a mid-'60s Corvette, it'll provide lotsa performance, and probably clear your hood:
it is a dual-plane intake (I found mine in '81 for $12.00 at a swap-meet ), and it offers the same 1/4-mile ET/MPH figures (with-in .05 ) on my 12-second 1979 Z28 as the Victor Jr. I've swapped in/out a few times.

I don't have it handy, but I 'believe' the part-number to be something-like '3864441', and it has the "W" casting-mark on it, too.
:upthumbs

Edelbrock 2101 intake will work with the stock air cleaner and carb. I put one on my car several years ago.

Edelbrock 2101 intake will work with the stock air cleaner and carb. I put one on my car several years ago.

I use this one to, but you loose the EGR with it. That may be a problem if the laws there require the stock emissions stuff to be intact. I'm pretty sure Edelbrock also has a performer that will work and have the EGR if you need it. Either way, the Performer will fit. God bless, Sensei

I'm pretty sure Edelbrock PN 3701 is the same Performer intake manifold as 2101 with EGR. And, I've read that it will fit under an L48 hood. I haven't tried it myself, but I've been shopping around too and that's what I've found out.

I'm pretty sure Edelbrock PN 3701 is the same Performer intake manifold as 2101 with EGR. And, I've read that it will fit under an L48 hood. I haven't tried it myself, but I've been shopping around too and that's what I've found out.

I picked-up the '07 Edelbrock catalog at the Manufacturers Midway during Friday's qualifying sessions at the Gatornationals:

it shows the #3701 as the #2101 with EGR, with a 'carb pad height' of 4.05".
:upthumbs

I also have an 81 and was looking at the Endelbrock performer manifold for a little more power.

My question would be, how much extra would I get out of it? I would be using my stock Q-Jet and I have full catless dual exhaust. I have been seriously considering going to headers too.

I also have an 81 and was looking at the Endelbrock performer manifold for a little more power.

My question would be, how much extra would I get out of it? I would be using my stock Q-Jet and I have full catless dual exhaust. I have been seriously considering going to headers too.
!!! THREAD RESURRECTION !!! :D

While I don't know for sure which would give you better bang for the buck, I'd think that going to headers first will give you more performance than simply changing the intake manifold. I'd start with headers. Then do the intake later.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom