Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Intake Manifold Gasket

Glava2876

Corvette
1984 Z51 4+3 Bright Red Coupe
I really like my 84... but it is sure testing me. The todo list is longer than the one you get from most wives!
In adition to the other stuff going on with my car, I have had a PIA coolant leak, that is not too bad and seems to come and go. It is on the passenger side and it puddles on the intake near a coolant line.
I kept thinking that it was the hose and would clean things up, tighten the hose clamp and it seemed to stop, but would return within the week. It is back today, no heating problems, but dripping pretty good.
Is this most likely the intake gasket and not the hose in the area? I bought an 84 service manual, but it is being shipped -if it is the intake gasket, is it any tougher to change than a standard small block? Are there other gaskets for the throttle body that I should also replace at that time?
Thanks, Glen

Probably buy an entire gasket set, and change every one that sits above the intake.

Think about takin' your intake to the car wash, and puttin' that high pressure wand into EVERY single orifice, port, bolt hole, etc. You won't believe how much carbon will blow through. I've done a TPI and LT1 now, and IT IS MESSY.

Chew some gum too while you're there. The jam and grit that gets in your face and choppers does a good job on tartar control... :D

Schrade,
Thanks for the cleaning idea. I ordered a gasket set form Corvette Central that has both intake gaskets, the throttle body plenumn gasket and what looks like a distributor gasket? I also ordered the air cleaner base gaskets since mine are shot -noticed that when I changed the valve cover gaskets a couple weeks ago.
Take care, Glen

I just changed mine the only thing was temp is running 4 degrees higher than it did before I did the change. Make sure you put the heater hose clamp on good.

I just changed mine the only thing was temp is running 4 degrees higher than it did before I did the change. Make sure you put the heater hose clamp on good.

I'm sure you did a good job.

It's running 4' higher because of global warming. (mine is too)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom