Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Intercooler inlet and outlet size?

B

bill mcdonald

what size are the inlet and outlet tubes on the intercoolers?

Bill, I don't know off hand. I'll try and measure them tonight or tomorrow and post for you.

Thanks Josh.

I bought jerry's twin turbo set up from him (t4/t3). I figure I might be able to max his set up out at 600-700 hp. some of the tubing sizes are kinda small IMHO. the inlets to the intercooler are 2" Most of which is probably done due to fitting the stuff in the car. I am already having issues trying to mock it up. My AFR heads, taller valve covers and the different stlye of radiator cause me some hang ups with fitment. I have to cut up my radiator shroud to fit the intercooler. the exhuast headers are hitting my engine mounts at the frame, which I am sure was not a problem with jerrys car.

I am thinking about using that turbo set up as a layout and rebuilding pretty much everything so I can get the power level up a bit more.

I am stuck right now. I have 2 TO4B's I could run that I seen get to about 850 hp. or I could shoot higher and try to get those PT51's on it, and go for 1000 hp. If I custom build things, I want to shoot for the higher power so I dont have to rebuild later if I am not happy with 850, or if 850 does not happen with what I end up building.
1000 hp is pretty much silly, but after building my first engine, I wished I went for more power when I was done, I dont want to be wishing I did more when I am done with this turbo set up. also with todays electronics, I believe there are some turbo controllers that can control boost based on what gear I am in, so I could make 1000 hp happen and be streetable. I would just need to keep boost down in the lower gears.

...and these decisions all decide what engine parts I buy. I have 18 degree heads on my mind, but I have to mod a super ram to fit it so I can pass CA emissions visual. I am still trying to see what that involves. Im losing my mind.

I have one question-- Who the heck is JERRY ? :confused

Sorry, didnt mean to babble on with non callaway related stuff.

Jerry built a twin turbo L-98 (turbos mounted high), and Josh has been telling me to follow along with what he was doing. I ended up just buying it. he posted over on the corvette forum.

http://www.twinturbovette.net

Bill the inside diameter of the intercooler inlet/outlet is ~1.75" or just tad tad smaller.

Damn! i just read the rest of this thread!!!! Bill, you bought his setup?! Thats awesome. Was it just the manifolds? Details! :D

You should get Corky Bell's book Maximum Boost- it has all the information you need to size innercoolers and tubing to them. To size the tubes you need to know the cfm of air your setup is going to move- this is based on cu inches,rpm, and amount of boost you are going to use. Off the top of my head 2 inch tubes would probably be to small for 1000 hp -but 2.25 would work.

SurfnSun said:
Damn! i just read the rest of this thread!!!! Bill, you bought his setup?! Thats awesome. Was it just the manifolds? Details! :D
Hey Josh. I took the whole thing.
Headers, down pipes, up pipes, turbos, wastegate, blow off, intercooler, throttle body, air filters, oil pan, oil lines, frame braces... basically almost an almost bolt in install.
Last he dynoed was around 600 hp. he said he could not get a correct torque read on it. He figured my AFR heads and superram would bring that number up a bit. but now, I have blown pistons on my 355, and debating on just building a whole new engine.

Turbo cat.
I have maximum boost and the other older turbo book as well. they seemed to be aimed more so at a med level power set up. Big plenum, long runners, smaller on the turbo headers to keep exhuast velocity up, etc...
Then I read John meany and Troy trepenre's (sp?) TT set up was big on everything. 1 7/8" header primaries. shorter rod to stroke ratio. Long tube headers, it is like the two are a contradiction. It is confusing.

Bill, I don't think that the two sources that you mention are that far apart. Corky's book says that plenum size should be 10 to 20 % larger than the engines size . It also says that exhaust manifolds" should be designed to allow gas pulses to arrive at the turbine at regularly spaced intervals-but this is difficult to achieve". I take this to mean that equal length headers would be ideal but on most cars are a packaging problem. Also, I see no mention of rod length in Corky's book-but I personally think that long rods are better for the longevity of the motor.AS for intake runner length ,again this would be decided by what rpm you want the motor to turn.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom