Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Interior Lights

O

omega1940

I have an 88 convertible with 4+3. I recently thought I had a problem with my key/ignition, and had an expert out (mobile van) to check it out. I had already ruled out the start switch on the clutch. The expert bypassed the ignition switch and it still wouldn't start, so he referred me to a guy who just did troubleshooting. He came out and quickly discovered it was the starter, but he too went under the driver's side hush panel to check things out. (electrically)

The shop replaced the starter, but when I got home I noticed that the map lights on the doors did not go on when the door opened. Also, the switch on the driver's side door would not open the convertible top hatch. I checked the fuse panel for interior lights, but it was okay. The console door light (the armrest) works, and the map lights work when you push in the white plastic lens.

Important: I also discovered that the battery is draining when I did not drive the car for the entire weekend. I recharged the battery and it started right up, but still no interior lights.

Before I pay the tech. guy another $90 to come out to find the problem, I thought I would check with some of you experts out there. I'm thinking a wire under the driver's side dash is somehow grounding to the frame someplace, which is causing the problem as well as the battery draining.

Any ideas? Seems like a key here is why the map lights on the door work when pressed, but don't work when the door is open. Some Corvette electrical wizard out there must know what's wrong.

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Mike

1988 White/Tan Convertible. 383 stroker, new block (4 bolt main), large tube runners, ACCEL ported heads, 58 mm. Throttlebody, headers, roller assembly, high lift cam, on and on and $$$$$$! Very fast car. Beats any stock Corvette up to 2006-07.

I think I'd recall the guy who fixed the starter and tell him that he has a problem.

I'd say he knocked a wire loose when he was fooling around behind the driver-side hush panel. You shouldn't have to pay more to get the job done right.

I think I'd recall the guy who fixed the starter and tell him that he has a problem.

I'd say he knocked a wire loose when he was fooling around behind the driver-side hush panel. You shouldn't have to pay more to get the job done right.

I think you are right. I got a reply from another fellow who told me what I think is the answer to the problem. Apparently there is a "module" up near the ECM that blows when a short occurs in the wiring under the hush panel. The problem I have is that I had two guys poking around under the dash, so I don't have any idea which one may have caused the problem. The solution appears to be pretty inexpensive, so I'm going to try to do it myself.

Thanks for your suggestion though!

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom