Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Interior Refurbishment

76okievette

Corvette
Early 1976 L-48, 2008 Victory Red
Well I have almost finish the interior of my 76, new seat covers from Corvette America, refurbished seat belts from SSnake Oil, new dash pad and repainted all the other pieces. I refurbished the original steering wheel and covered it with a Wheel Skins cover in black which looks great also. Sorry if I am bragging but it does look good. I will post some pictures when I figure out the last tiny piece. Which is the reason for this post, the horn button. Every time I snap it on the horn sounds off all the time and the button won't completely snap into place. I have it aligned correctly but it seems like it just won't go deep enough. I did replace the holder and it’s all installed correctly but it just won't stay on. I have three spacers between the horn button holder and the mount not sure if I need those with the new holder. It's such a simple thing but it really has me stumped. Any one have any ideas, this is an original 76 steering wheel which is unique to 76. I will keep tinkering with it but if you have any ideas please let me know.

PS. How do I get the spell checker to work on these posts?

76okievette said:
this is an original 76 steering wheel which is unique to 76. I will keep tinkering with it but if you have any ideas please let me know.[/FONT][/COLOR]

PS. How do I get the spell checker to work on these posts?

It is unique to the 76 Corvette, but not the 76 Chevrolet. . . You know which other model has it, but I doubt you'd find one of those in a junkyard anymore either. Did everything work fine before you took it apart?

Craig

PS It doesn't look like you need spell check!

Yes it all worked fine before I removed it and I don't think I need new parts I have replaced most of the parts. I think its the Nova steering wheel we have on the 76 Corvette's.

Wegone said:

Uh yeah, I was tryin not to be cruel!
Have you tried to assemble the horn button components off of the car? If one new piece doesn't quite fit together with the old ones, you won't know it unless you try it seperately. Just a thought.

Craig

Good idea I will try that tonight, its so dam hot its hard to get out in the garagre and go to work. Yes it is the Vega but I really like the wheel.

Here are a couple of pictures of the re-do can 't really see much because they are so small, if anyone is interested in seeing them full size let me know and I can email them.
As you can see the horn button is still missing, I can't get it to stay on. If I remove all the parts the button snaps right into the holder but when I put it back together I can't get it to stay on at all, when it is pressed on the horn goes off all the time but with out the button installed the horn works great. I am at a my wits end, such a small thing but I can't get it right.
ANY SUGGESTIONS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom