Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Interior rehab

mainevette

Corvette
1974 C3
I have recently acquired a 1974 vette looking good on the outside but the interior is a mess. I really want to rehab the interior but I am at aloss getting the seats out. Access to the bolts is tough as you all know and mine are so rusted cutting appears the only option. Anyone know of a quick safe inexpensive way to handle these bolts? Would a dremel tool with cutting wheel work???:confused

I know exactly how you feel!! Just removed my seats yesterday on my 79 and had the same problem!!! I soaked the bolts from above and the nuts from underneath with WD40 and penetrating oil, let them soak for a few hours, and they finally broke loose. I was lucky no cutting required. Try it and see how it works! Oh, and by-the-way, look out! Once you get started on the interior rehab there are A LOT and I mean A LOT of "might as wells!!!" :)

PB Blaster is some very good stuff, it sticks to what you squirt it on ans soaks in pretty good. Other than that a pair of vice grips or an angle grinder with a 4" cutoff wheel might be the answer. Joe is right, once you get started....:boogie

PB blaster is great stuff. If you get underneath the car, you should be able to see the bolts protruding there too. Give them a shot or 2 of spray. As far as breaking them loose, get a breaker bar and yank on that to break them loose. I had to slide my seats all the way forward to get to the rear bolts and then all the way back to get to the fronts. Break them all loose before removing them, it makes moving the seat much easier.
I wouldn't recommend cutting unless it's a last resort. there is not much room to get to the bolt heads and then you're still left with getting the screw part out with nothing to wrench on. You can hit it with some heat to aid in breaking them loose and that should help (plumber's torch or even the wife's creme brulee caramelizer butane torch works OK).
Check my interior replacement thread if you need some guidance on replacing the interior.
Good luck and have fun!

...Anyone know of a quick safe inexpensive way to handle these bolts?...

Soak them from both sides. Top and underneath. Work slowly. You have fiberglass floors with metal reinforcements for the seat bolts. Purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM) for '74 and take a look at what you're up against.

...Would a dremel tool with cutting wheel work???

If you cut the bolt heads you'll still have the threads in the mounts.

:)

Soak them from both sides. Top and underneath. Work slowly. You have fiberglass floors with metal reinforcements for the seat bolts. Purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM) for '74 and take a look at what you're up against.

If you cut the bolt heads you'll still have the threads in the mounts.

I thought about the threads in the mounts after I considerd cutting. One of the mounts in the floor is already spinning. I may have to drill some of them out. Any suggestions on a decent quality drill bit? Where do I find this AIM? ;shrug

...Any suggestions on a decent quality drill bit?...

Get good ones. You will be trying to drill through steel. Slower is better.

... Where do I find this AIM?...

All the aftermarket providers carry the AIMs and you can find them on eBay. The best deals include the AIM and a three ring binder to put it in.

You can get AIMs on CD or in .pdf format, butI like the hard copy format.

Thanks folks. Think I got it, haven't done the work yet but drilling and cutting sounds like it would lead to bigger problems, but is still an option. I'll get um. Then the real fun begins.

Thanks folks. Think I got it, haven't done the work yet but drilling and cutting sounds like it would lead to bigger problems, but is still an option. I'll get um. Then the real fun begins.
hehehe the real fun is about to start:chuckle

PICT0019-1.jpg

Then comes the end

PICT0030.jpg

75 vette

Hello everyone ,this is new to me so not real sure what to do. I have been elected to work on my son-in-law's mothers 75 corvette and having a lot of trouble with the brakes,not sure if this is the right spot to post this problem but here it goes.
I replaced the rear brake pads and had the rotors turn which ended up being above specs. Did not break any lines open just replaced the pads. Had low pedal before and now have no pedal, light is on now and not sure what to do next. Its hard to believe that I would have to bled them seeing how I never opened a line. Any ideas?

Hello everyone ,this is new to me so not real sure what to do. I have been elected to work on my son-in-law's mothers 75 corvette and having a lot of trouble with the brakes,not sure if this is the right spot to post this problem but here it goes.
I replaced the rear brake pads and had the rotors turn which ended up being above specs. Did not break any lines open just replaced the pads. Had low pedal before and now have no pedal, light is on now and not sure what to do next. Its hard to believe that I would have to bled them seeing how I never opened a line. Any ideas?

No disrespect jimmybb, but you're hijacking a thread. Post your question in the Technical Section.
:thumb

Now the Fun begins!

Got the seats out without any cutting! :beer
Now its time to go out and get some carpet and put it in, possibly replace or fix the seats. The parking brake console is pretty much destroyed so it needs a replace. Also i have been toying with the idea of Z06 seats in the old girl. don't know if its possible but would be cool:D

Now is a good time to insulate and sound proof that bad boy........I used this aluminum foil back padding and it made a big difference on sound and heat soak through the floor.
I glued the foil to the floor to reflect the heat..........most picts i see put the foil up but I feel it should work better down.......but I could be wrong.

It's not a one piece it has around 1 1/2 inch over laps.....I used the old carpet as a template..........I used a vary sticky spray glue....the glue was headliner liner glue from Johann fabrics...the insulation was from PEP boys. After I glued it down just feel for the seat holes and use a soldering iron to burn perfect holes for the bolts.

Good luck:thumb

PICT0171.jpg

[/IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/checklst/PICT0171.jpg[/IMG]
PICT0071-1.jpg

PICT0041.jpg

Great idea about insulating the car! I have so far completed the driverside, and doing the passenger side after I get out of work tomarrow. This is moving along very smoothly! Thanks for all your help guys :D I will post some pics of the interior when she's nice and clean!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom