Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Is a 1985 a good investment

dannimo

Corvette
1985 Red Coupe
I just bought a 1985 corvette, and have sort of convinced my wife that it is a good investment. Do you think it will appreciate in value like some of the muscle cars of the '60s and '70s?

The car is in really good shape- the previous owner was very meticulous. It's a red 4 speed, with black leather. I hate to show my ignorance, but how can I tell if it is a Z51?

Thanks

Welcome to the :CAC dannimo, and congrats on the new ride. There are several ways to find out if your 'Vette is a Z51 car. There should be an options sticker on the underside of one of the cubby hole lids in the storage area, right behind the seats. It will list all the options the car was built with. If your car is a Z51 car, it will be listed their. Another way to tell is to check the wheel's. Z51 car's got 16"x9.5" wheels, and non-Z51 cars where equipped with 16"x8.5" wheels.

Check out our 1985 Model Center page. It has all sorts of good info about your car.

:thumb Jason

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Do you think it will appreciate in value like some of the '60s and '70s muscle cars?

Probably not any time soon. There were a bunch of these cars made and still a lot left on the road. Just enjoy the car and take care of it. And don't forget to wave!:w

You can also order a build sheet and window sticker for your car from the Corvette Store at the National Corvette Museum. Both would show the options on your car as it came down the assembly line and be great documentation items to have.

I certainly wish that the C4's would appreciate, but I just don't see it happening. In the last ten years the prices have held pretty steady. I personally can't imagine ANY day in the future where you will see 1,000 percent appreciation like the muscle cars of the sixties.

Value is about supply and demand. With these cars there is quite a healthy supply of nice, tucked away, low mileage cars and there's a very short line waiting to buy them.

Also, IMHO in the future they will not be easily restorable cars. The electronics and flimsy plastic trim pieces and other parts that break will make them an expensive restoration.

To add to that, and I will get seriously flamed for this, they are really not the best cars ever built. Don't get me wrong, I love my Vette. I've had it about 16 years but I've had other, better built cars during that time. The reason I keep the car is that it is great fun for the money.

The better built sports cars of the C4 era will successfully compete for the collectors dollars as will the C5's which seem to be much better built cars.

So I am now heading to put on my flame suit as I hit the enter button. Here goes.........

I certainly wish that the C4's would appreciate, but I just don't see it happening. In the last ten years the prices have held pretty steady. I personally can't imagine ANY day in the future where you will see 1,000 percent appreciation like the muscle cars of the sixties.

Value is about supply and demand. With these cars there is quite a healthy supply of nice, tucked away, low mileage cars and there's a very short line waiting to buy them.

Also, IMHO in the future they will not be easily restorable cars. The electronics and flimsy plastic trim pieces and other parts that break will make them an expensive restoration.

To add to that, and I will get seriously flamed for this, they are really not the best cars ever built. Don't get me wrong, I love my Vette. I've had it about 16 years but I've had other, better built cars during that time. The reason I keep the car is that it is great fun for the money.

The better built sports cars of the C4 era will successfully compete for the collectors dollars as will the C5's which seem to be much better built cars.

So I am now heading to put on my flame suit as I hit the enter button. Here goes.........

What he said ...

Basically C-4's are a good bang for the buck in performance. However,
even a very good one ( low or zero miles, plastic covers still on the seats, original tires etc.) goes for less than when it was purchased new.

Check out the auction prices at Barret Jackson for proof on that.

The space the vette takes up will accumulate value far faster than the car will.

Drive it, enjoy it and be proud to own one. If you want an investment I would pick another route.

If you want to lay rubber and drive a car that will hit 1 g in a turn, then the early C4 vette is your best value.

Don't feel bad though, Ferraris, Porsche, and Lambos of the same era lack investment potential as well. My buddy just purchased a pristine 944 turbo for about a third of the original asking price in 1985 dollars.

The only way you can make money on cars is to be the guy that repairs or sells them.

Otherwise, its just a hobby in my opinion.

:thumb:thumb

I'm hoping that once guys my age, get to the point in their lives where the kids are out of school, and they still have a lot of disposable income, the cars of their youth will appreciate ridiculously in value. I figure that should happen in about 15 years.

So, the argument I made to the wife is the car should be worth 10 times what I paid for it, and in the meantime I get to have fun with it for the next 15 years or so. Worst case scenario is I have fun with it for 15 years and I will be proven wrong once again!

I think some of the opportunities I missed out on in past for vehicles that are now worth between $50K and $85K have influenced my decision on this car. I'm counting on one of the best muscle cars in 1985 hopefully will be worth $50k or more in 2024.

I'm hoping that once guys my age, get to the point in their lives where the kids are out of school, and they still have a lot of disposable income, the cars of their youth will appreciate ridiculously in value. I figure that should happen in about 15 years.

So, the argument I made to the wife is the car should be worth 10 times what I paid for it, and in the meantime I get to have fun with it for the next 15 years or so. Worst case scenario is I have fun with it for 15 years and I will be proven wrong once again!

I think some of the opportunities I missed out on in past for vehicles that are now worth between $50K and $85K have influenced my decision on this car. I'm counting on one of the best muscle cars in 1985 hopefully will be worth $50k or more in 2024.

You'd been better off with a CD or money market fund. But you can't drive a CD or money market fund. And if you are very meticulous and keep the car stored away day and keep the wear and tear to a minumim, the car most likely will give you back all or most of what you invest in it. but most important, get out and drive the Vette. They are a great investment for the inner child. But you will never be able to explain that to your wife. :eek:hnoes

That's where I am now. At 44, I've been out of high school since '79. I couldn't afford these then (I did get a 76 RS Camaro in senior year) But I can now. I've had 2 Vettes in the last five years, an 81 & 84, and didn't spend $4500 on either. Paitience & ready cash will get most anything from the 80's. I bought a gorgeous 86 M/C SS in 05 for 3K.;)
I've had over a hundred cars, and made a little or broke even on almost all. Some did go sky high but I usually sought out odd optioned cars. There are a lot of C4's. You never know. I would like to think mine would go up a lot, but I think it's pretty much leveled out. Of course, I never thought I'd get a nice 84 for $3500 either.;shrug
Maintain it well and you'll at least break even. But drive it all you can. I've had better, nicer cars, but this one is a ball to drive.

I just bought a 1985 corvette, and have sort of convinced my wife that it is a good investment. Do you think it will appreciate in value like some of the muscle cars of the '60s and '70s?...

Yes- but only as an investment of the "ear to ear" smile kind.
:cool

Thanks everyone. I feel better now. :beer. I'm going to bring it home tomorrow.

My wife has been giving me a hard time because I already have a 75 TR 6 and a 73 Caprice Classic convertible. They spend a lot of time gathering dust in the garage. (Seems like every time I take them out, something needs fixing).

This fall I went out of town for a week, and she re-organized the whole garage. That incluced cleaning out 15 years of junk, cleaning out so many spiders, critters and other varmits- that prior to her cleaning, it was scary just walking in there. She and a girl friend of hers put up shelving, racking, drywall and countless other improvements, so I would have a great place to tinker and after 15 years she would have a garage to park her car in. Now, it looks like I am going to be taking up her spot again. ;shrug

Anybody want to come to Louisville and help me put up a real quick addition to my garage?

Depends. Do I get to take the Caprice back with me?;)
Years ago I had a triple black 73 Caprice w/454. Rode well and tons of power!:beer

Depends. Do I get to take the Caprice back with me?;)
Years ago I had a triple black 73 Caprice w/454. Rode well and tons of power!:beer
Nope, I've had that car since I was 17. My wife would want to give you the TR though. :W

Triple black w/ 454- wicked! Mine is light blue w/ white- and only 400 small block with 2 barrel. Mine has pretty good low-end, but starves on the high end. Fastest I ever had it with the top down was 115. Seemed to create drag, and I was afraid maybe the windshield would go! Top up around 120-125. I raced a buddy's IROC in the 1/4 mile, I had him off the line, and he passed me / nosed me out in the last 100 yds- beat me by a quarter length. I'd be afraid to drive it like that today.

Thanks everyone. I feel better now. :beer. I'm going to bring it home tomorrow.

My wife has been giving me a hard time because I already have a 75 TR 6 and a 73 Caprice Classic convertible. They spend a lot of time gathering dust in the garage. (Seems like every time I take them out, something needs fixing).

This fall I went out of town for a week, and she re-organized the whole garage. That incluced cleaning out 15 years of junk, cleaning out so many spiders, critters and other varmits- that prior to her cleaning, it was scary just walking in there. She and a girl friend of hers put up shelving, racking, drywall and countless other improvements, so I would have a great place to tinker and after 15 years she would have a garage to park her car in. Now, it looks like I am going to be taking up her spot again. ;shrug

Anybody want to come to Louisville and help me put up a real quick addition to my garage?

I'm going on vacation in September. Could I borrow your wife then? I promise not to hit on her or anything. I just want to leave her behind so she can clean out my shop.:L

:rotflFUNNY THREAD :thumb I'M ONLY 36 NOW AND WONDERING AT THOSE CRAZY 67 427/435H.P.L88 AND LATER LT1, 427, 454 SHARKS OR 70 CHEVELLE SS LS6 VALUE... I DO HAVE OWN A 79 T-TOP 6.6 403C.I TRANS AM AT 17... AN 89 5.0L 5 SPEED 3.73 COBRA MUSTANG AT 18:puke...A 79 L-48 AUTO 3.55 CORVETTE AT 23... 87 CORVETTE RED ON RED CONVERTIBLE AT 26... SOLD LAST YEAR AND I REALLY ENJOY EVERY MILES OUT OF THOSE CARS (SOME MORE THAN OTHERS WHEN I WAS YOUNGER :eek:hnoes) BUT I DO NEVER LOST A PENNIES ON THOSE CARS OVER THE YEARS:boogie :thumb NOW THAT OWN A REALLY NICE RARE AND WELL CARED FOR, LOW MILEAGE, DOCUMENTED 1992 LT-1 Z07 BLACK ROSE CORVETTE I AM GLAD THAT I DID FIND IT THE WAY I MIGHT ORDER IT BACK IN 1992 (EXCEPT FOR THE BLACK ROSE COLOR) I MUST ORDERED IT YELLOW OR QUASAR BLUE ON WHITE LEATHERS SPORTS SEATS BUT STILL :upthumbs I WILL DRIVE IT AND NOT KEEP IT IN THE GARAGE FOR ANYBODY THAT WILL OFFER ME 10K IN 2020 BUT NOW AS I REMEMBERS AND LOOKING AT THE VALUES OF THOSE CARS THAT I SHOULD KEPT OVER THE YEARS :D... I WILL KEEP GOOD :thumb :beer :w OFF THEM ALL BUT AS TO GET MONEY OUT OF THEM LATELY??? IT WAS A BETTER INVESTMENT ON DRIVING THEM ALL AND GET THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom