Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is a '96 a good everyday car?

G

GPRocket

Hi,
I need some input..... My everyday driver is a 2000 Mustang V6 with 13000 miles on it that I have done up a little. If you would like to see what I have done you can look at http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/mustang.htm

I have found a gorgeous 1996 Arctic White Coupe/ tan interior with 46000 miles on it. 60-Day warranty.

I have fallen in love with this car, credit was approved and I just need to sign.

To get this car I would need to sell the Mustang and the Vette would become my daily driver. How do these cars hold up as a daily driver. Should I expect any problems??? An I crazy???

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. The 1996 model was the best of the C4 generation in terms of refinement and build quality. I drove a '96 Collector's Edition and loved it.

They make excellent daily drivers and based upon owner feedback, they've been very reliable. The optical distributors on the earlier LT1 motors could be a hassle and supposedly GM changed the design a little bit to address the problems, but it didn't cure them 100%. Regardless, it can be replaced like any other part and shouldn't be a reason not to buy the car. Lets see what other owners have to say here. Good luck and keep us posted!

I drive mine everyday, so far. It will see the road a little this winter, but it will mainly be sitting as I detail the hell out of the engine compartment along with some motor upgrades (heads/cams/headers).

I know of a few that drive their Vettes all year long. Just drive with common sense, traction control on and winter tires. Tires will make all the difference in the world... I've heard nothing but good about the Bridgestone Blizzaks (sp). Don't expect to have any traction for high performance tires.

Get the Vette, you will love it!!! I promise.

Thanks..... I have a '97 Explorer that I use to pull boats back and forth to the water and on snow days. The Mustang is horrible in the snow with those tires, I learned that the hard way!!! I have been agonizing over this desision since Saturday and here is why. Friday night my wife told me she was pregnant and told me she wanted me to get one if I wanted on because I probably would not be able to again for a while sooooooo here I am! I really want this car but want to do what ever the "right thing" would be. I have the Mustang paid for untill Febuary and if I get the Vette I need to sell it asap.

If you can swing it without burdening your family, I would go for it.

GPRocket said:
Thanks..... I have a '97 Explorer that I use to pull boats back and forth to the water and on snow days. The Mustang is horrible in the snow with those tires, I learned that the hard way!!! I have been agonizing over this desision since Saturday and here is why. Friday night my wife told me she was pregnant and told me she wanted me to get one if I wanted on because I probably would not be able to again for a while sooooooo here I am! I really want this car but want to do what ever the "right thing" would be. I have the Mustang paid for untill Febuary and if I get the Vette I need to sell it asap.
Listen to your wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you can do it, get it now, because once the kids start coming, increased financial strain comes, more responsibility etc. Get the car now, and take it with you through life and enjoy it. And since you'll already have the Vette, you can very easily raise the little ones in the Vette teaching them the value and appreciation for the Corvette. Take advantage of their young and impressionable minds and get them into that passenger seat at an early age!! :D :D:_rock

Welcome to the CACC GPRocket.

I have to agree with everyone here. If you have the chance go for the 'Vette. I drove my '96 GS as a daily driver for 14 months, untill I got my blazer. She ran like a dream the whole time. I got a little over 17mpg. But more importantly I actually looked forward to the drive to work!

From what I saw in the pic's you posted this car looks to be worth what they are asking for it.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Jason

Ok ladies and gents....

I drive my '92 every day, it is my only means of transportation. That means mine sees sun, rain, snow, and everything inbetween. Last winter I drove mine through the snow with Eagle GS-C's. It managed without a hitch. The traction system does wonders. I switched from Mustangs as well (please, no comments) and it was a world of difference in many areas, especially snow. BTW, the only winter tires that fit it are Eagle M+S and Pirelli p210 (believe) that is 285/40/17.

As a daily driver you will have only two items of note to consider. First is the climb and fall into and out of the car. The second is the limited cargo room.
Other than that, I average 25 mpg. I love mine, and have put over 20k miles on in a year. IMHO, it is a great daily driver.

I plan on driving the '95 all year long. I drove my '92 TA for 3 years through the chicago winters without traction control and with the eagle gatorbacks on it. Never had a problem.
As far as kids go....The vette is my 3 1/2 year old daugther's favorite car. Its hard to get her to ride in anything else. I have had to try and explain why all three of us can't ride together in it a few times though. Just last week while driving down the road in our truck my daugther told my wife "see mommy a corvette, you have to wave when you see a corvette":D We're starting her off right.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom