Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is an old pitted '73 windshield worth anything

lone73

Corvette
'73 4spd coupe, '04 6 speed coupe
I am getting my windshield replaced, finishing up the reassembly after repainting. I just wondered if I should toss it or sell it.
thanks

If they will pay a couple of hundred bucks for NOS bolts on Ebay your windshield will be like gold :D

How do I tell if its original or from that era?
thanks

Lone - Are you talking the whole windshield frame replacement?

I am getting my windshield replaced, finishing up the reassembly after repainting. I just wondered if I should toss it or sell it.
thanks

Several times I've almost thrown things out, but decided to post it on eBay. Shocking that there's usually someone out there who will want it! Like they say, "One man's garbage is another's treasure..."

thanks

I'm about to go down this road, where did you get yours and how was the fit? Was it the same thickness as the original?

Bill

How do I tell if its original or from that era?
thanks

Manufacturers symbol will be in the lower right hand corner of the glass. Look for 'LOF' (Libby Owens Ford) Soft Ray Safety Flo-Light. There will be others codes, but the most important will be the manufacturing date which is a two letter code.

If the second of the two letters is either a Y or a U it's probably the original glass made in 1972 or 1973.

Hey Bill,

I got my replacement from OEM Glass... (see my old post http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94179 )

The date coded the glass - and it fit perfectly. Also see http://www.oemglass.net/date_coding.html.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the links and info. Wow, I just called these folks today, the vette shop near here recommended them if I wanted the windshield to actually fit!!
Still have a little sticker shock after hearing about guys getting one INSTALLED for $200 or so by a local place. I'm not into numbers stuff, my car is not a showpiece or anything but it really would be good to have it fit right! They told me 4-6 weeks. I'm still chewing on it. Did you do it yourself?

Bill

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the links and info. Wow, I just called these folks today, the vette shop near here recommended them if I wanted the windshield to actually fit!!
Still have a little sticker shock after hearing about guys getting one INSTALLED for $200 or so by a local place. I'm not into numbers stuff, my car is not a showpiece or anything but it really would be good to have it fit right! They told me 4-6 weeks. I'm still chewing on it. Did you do it yourself?

Bill

I'm not into the numbers-matching thing either... however I wanted a windshield that looked correct and would fit properly.

No, I did not install it myself. However, the shop that did install it told me that the C3 windshields are the easiest generation of the Corvettes to install.

The windshield was one of the finest purchases I've made to my Vette yet.
Ralph

Manufacturers symbol will be in the lower right hand corner of the glass. Look for 'LOF' (Libby Owens Ford) Soft Ray Safety Flo-Light. There will be others codes, but the most important will be the manufacturing date which is a two letter code.

If the second of the two letters is either a Y or a U it's probably the original glass made in 1972 or 1973.

Thanks for the info. I went out and looked at it with a magnifying glass. I found a two letter code to the right of the LOF logo (that's inside the square box) and right under the "L" in "Lite"... and it looks like it says "XU" its pretty faint though.

So I suppose I can assume its an original and I should probably not toss it ?

thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom