Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is it just me or does the new interior material feel gross?

bluecoupe

Corvette
former C3&C5- future C7 when jr's college is paid
I finally got to sit in a C6. I do not like the feel of the new interior’s dash and door panels. It feels way too rubbery almost slimy. I don’t know how GM figured out that soft rubber pleather is better than firm vinyl pleather. It just feels nasty.

Also I'm a bit overweight. I’m 5’ 10’ 225lbs and the interior felt much smaller than my C5. I tried a few seat positions but it still seemed small. Maybe it was the center console that gave an optical illusion of the interior being smaller than it is.

The rear window is very hard to see out of.

I was surprised that the steering wheel is actually good looking in person but it could be a little smaller. The shape does block the guages when it is turned.

The shifter throw shifter seemed nice too but I’d really have to drive it to pass judgment.

The wheels are good looking as were the Z51 Rotors.

The windows automatically lower and raise a tad when you open and close the doors. That's going to wear out those motors.

Well that's my 2 cents.

I have a related question re: the interior: On the cashmere interior, the rear deck is done in black--floor, carpet that goes around the rear and over the wheelwells, etc. On my previous Corvettes, the entire interior was one color. Has something changed and the interior color applies only to the front part of the interior?

The charcoal carpet in the rear is the one thing I do not like about the interior. I believe it was done to reduce glare in the rear view mirror.

I think Mr Cool is correct about the glare. I have light gray (pewter) interior on my C5 and I always keep the black hatch cover on. The only annoying part it that it flaps around when the windows and top are open.

Don't take my criticism wrong. The C6 is a beautiful machine. I just wish GM would kill a few more cows and give us a "real" interior.

stop the flap

stop the flap--on my C 5, I had a local shop put three velcro strips on the deck carpet and on the lower part of the screen. Did the trick--no more flapping in the wind(sounds like Bob Dylan).

Thanks for the answer my friend. It sounds like a good solution to the flap. Do you have any photos?

bluecoupe said:
I finally got to sit in a C6. I do not like the feel of the new interior’s dash and door panels. It feels way too rubbery almost slimy. I don’t know how GM figured out that soft rubber pleather is better than firm vinyl pleather. It just feels nasty.

I know that a lot of attention went into the look and feel of the interior, but I have to agree with you. It's really the one and only criticism I have of the interior. The feel of the door panels and dash are almost awkward. I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but the look and feel of the material seems cheap. I don't want to sound too harsh, but, those are really the only words I can find to describe it. Maybe I just need to spend more time behind the wheel to fully appreciate and assess the interior feel. ;) ;)

bluecoupe said:
I was surprised that the steering wheel is actually good looking in person but it could be a little smaller. The shape does block the guages when it is turned.
I know that the shape of the steering wheel has been one of the more negatively criticized items in the car. Personally, I like the shape, however, don't quote me on this: I believe that we will see a slight redesign in the shape of the steering wheel down the road. All in all, I think it's a hell of a lot better than the C4/C5 steering wheels.

bluecoupe said:
The windows automatically lower and raise a tad when you open and close the doors. That's going to wear out those motors.
bluecoupe said:
Well that's my 2 cents.
I believe the lowering and raising of the windows a small amount upon opening/closing the doors is referred to as "glass indexing". You don't have to worry about the motors abnormally wearing due to this process. Glass indexing is a method used by more affluent automotive manufacturers such as Mercedes in order to better seal the glass against the weatherstripping. It makes for a much tighter seal between the glass and the weatherstripping. Personally, I think it's awesome and a worthy feature to have on GM's flagship.

Sorry, no photos. Just tack three velcro strips(about 4-5 inches long to the bottom of the cover(left edge, center and right edge, with their mates on the carpet where the flap meets the carpet. Of course, whenever you open the back you have to reattach the strips--a minor inconveneince.

Dean,

You should patent that idea or sell the idea to one of the aftermarket companies like Lloyd Floor Mats. I was thinking that maybe I'll also set it up to Velcro back to the top cover so it you can either leave the hatch open and accessible or closed like you have it.
Frank

Any ideas on fixing the global warming thing?:)

bluecoupe said:
The C6 is a beautiful machine. I just wish GM would kill a few more cows and give us a "real" interior.
I couldn't agree more.

After sitting in another one today I really like the car, but I'm simply not impressed by GMs efforts on the interior.

Yes, it is better then the C5 but it just doesn't compare to other cars in the same price range.

At 50K +/- look at the Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Infinity and even Audi interiors. Each uses higher grade materials (better leather, wood grain accents, dampened console doors, stronger latches and hinges, better door pulls etc.) and feels richer and more refined.

The aforementioned cars give the impression of being toned down Rolls Royce interiors while the Vette seems more like an upscale Chevette. . .

It wouldn't keep me from buying one, but I'd love to see a bit more refinement as the car matures.

bluecoupe said:
Dean,

You should patent that idea or sell the idea to one of the aftermarket companies like Lloyd Floor Mats. I was thinking that maybe I'll also set it up to Velcro back to the top cover so it you can either leave the hatch open and accessible or closed like you have it.
Frank

Any ideas on fixing the global warming thing?:)
Frank : actually I have given some thought to global warming, but it means giving up high performance cars, jet travel, and other fun things of life. Will the Corvette ever become a hybrid? That and better interiors would make our day.

The Dean

You know, I was not wild about the C5 when it came out in 1997. I had a C3 and I felt as though the C5 was not true to its roots. We aren't talking the blasphemy that the Mustang II was in comparison to the Boss, but it was still heresy. Divorced tranny, balsa wood floors, plastic this.... you name it, I hated it. Sure, it was state of the art at the cost of its soul. However, that could NOT have been farther from the truth. Its a great car. I sold my beloved C3 to get my C5.

Would I sell my C5 for a C6? I doubt it, just because I think its a little too close to the C5 to feel like its a truly different car. I'd rather keep my C5, it will be paid for sooner!

bluecoupe said:

Also I'm a bit overweight. I’m 5’ 10’ 225lbs and the interior felt much smaller than my C5. I tried a few seat positions but it still seemed small. Maybe it was the center console that gave an optical illusion of the interior being smaller than it is.

The rear window is very hard to see out of.

The shifter throw shifter seemed nice too but I’d really have to drive it to pass judgment.

The wheels are good looking as were the Z51 Rotors.

Well that's my 2 cents.

In person the steering wheel does look much better than the photos..I liked it..I liked the look of the dash too..Seats are nice...the aluminum center console is nice...

Only thing I wish for is opaque headlight glass..probably a set of blackouts or smoked tint would be an aftermarket option I'd consider..

Nice car. and I really like the shorter front and rear overhangs..

Side coves are cool too.

JMO

I had the same feeling when I sat in a C6 last week. Its going to take a while to get used to it. The window motors will not burn out. Its a great idea to have the windows lower a bit. The seal between the glass and the rubber will be excellent!

Erik S. Klein said:
I couldn't agree more.

After sitting in another one today I really like the car, but I'm simply not impressed by GMs efforts on the interior.

Yes, it is better then the C5 but it just doesn't compare to other cars in the same price range.

At 50K +/- look at the Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Infinity and even Audi interiors. Each uses higher grade materials (better leather, wood grain accents, dampened console doors, stronger latches and hinges, better door pulls etc.) and feels richer and more refined.

The aforementioned cars give the impression of being toned down Rolls Royce interiors while the Vette seems more like an upscale Chevette. . .

It wouldn't keep me from buying one, but I'd love to see a bit more refinement as the car matures.
I don't think the Corvette is designed to compete with Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Infinity or Audi interiors. Yes it's in the price range of that market, but the Corvette is really a different segment... Sports Car, comes to mind immediately.
None of those marques you mentioned for interior/price comparison could remotely compete in respect to overall performance with either the C5 or C6 Corvette, even though they are in that price range. So I guess it all depends on what one desires in a $50,000 car, refined interior or raucious performance.
I find that the Corvette interior is no worse than that of a $50,000 Porsche, but the performance is substantially better in the Corvette.

vettepilot

Rob, I agree! Usually, when you get into a new car for the first time, especially when youve been looking forward to doing so, "wow" is usually the first thought. When I got into the C6, I thought "oh"! Thats called disappointment.

I have an 04 C5 and a 05 C6 both have 1SB packages... so comparing interior side by side.

I am disappointed in the interior plastic look and feel ... downgrade from C5

Center console is not aluminum it is plastic ... cheap

Seats are a downgrade from the C5 ... slick panel look like in a BMW or something. Not as soft or comfortable.

Switches ... downgrade. Hard plastic like a Ford truck. C5 had very nice sealed membrane switches, easy to clean. I heard GM had to change the window switches however because of a safety issue.

Lots of plastic and they are using rivet plugs to hold it in place ... cheap. This is the same rivet plug as on my Honda 4-wheeler

Interior is superior to C5 in ride, headroom, legroom and reduced noise.

Doors now have a small pocket for junk
Cup holder is better but hard to get the dam cup out!
Center console is better
Fuel button is now exposed .. huge plus

Steering wheel is better. It has an oval feel not just a round tube. Fits the hand nicely and the logo is color.

Front center HVAC vent is improved and split better.
Side vents are better and have more adjustment.

Radio is same old poor GM crap ... poor reception
Rear mirror has a compass now.

Another $.02 worth

Thanks (rbl) for the honest comparison. It is nice to know I'm not going crazy. It has been around 9 months of hearing people blather on and on about how much better the C6's interior is than the C5's. The C6 is an incredibly machine but the C5 is also phenomenal. Both cars can compete with the world's best sports cars in any price range. For years I have read reviews (mostly in import car loving magazines) undeservedly bashing the C5's interior. I am very clumsy and I don't have any problems accessing the controls on C5. The same was true in my short time in the C6. Everything seemed to be right where it should be.

$50,000 Porsche ???

Other than a plain Boxster I haven't ever seen a $50 K Porsche. The Carrera stickers at $95,000--almost double that for a turbo. The Boxster S comes in at about $70,000+.

If you bought a Z06 for 55,000 you could add $40,000 to that vehicle and make it a world beater, and still be in the ballpark with the price of the Carrera.

I'm happy to see others post honest assessments of the 2005 Corvette. I also took a coupe out for a trial run. I was not that excited about the interior, Mr. Lutz said "wait till you see the new interior for the C6's", well it certainly wasn't any kind of WOW factor.

I'll wait a couple of years to see if any thing changes! For now I'll just keep the '02 coupe.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom