Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is it ok to use a small amount of RTV ??

• Thread starter Thread starter White 68
  • Start date Start date
W

White 68

When installing the plenum ....??? I didnt have any leaks,but thought it couldnt hurt..:bar

I don't see any reason to use RTV when re-installing the plenum.

One other thing struck me in your photo....pull the crankcase ventilation cover off and replace the gasket under there. It looks wet in the photo.

I mention this in my article that was linked in the previous thread and I believe I supplied the part number for the gasket. The bolts to the cover were not torqued enough on the earlier ZR-1s.

When I pulled my plenum off for the first time, it was soaked under there and the bolts were only finger tight.

Clean everything up and if you are so inclined, pull the coil packs and starter out and clean up the valley under there including the drain hole. You'd be amazed at how much crap can collect under there.

I removed my plenum just to fix that oil leak around the crankcase vent cover, I recomend doing this as well!!!
If you dont youll want to do it later trust me...

as far as using RTV if you mean on the plenum gasket you dont need it..

I removed everything from the top of the motor, There was a lot of oil up there unfortunalty I still have oil leaks around 2 or 3 of my cam cover bolts and thats what I am going to do next give them a good once over with fresh paint and then reinstall...

Tim, you're right, it wouldn't hurt if you haven't reinstalled yet. I didn't use any RTV (obviously many others didn't) and have had no other problems. But Jim Milstead uses and recommends rtv. I would infer from that, that he has had at least one to leak on him when he didn't use rtv. Take that fwiw from the plenum pulling king.

Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom