Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Is it reasonable to restore a 77?

Funtoy

Is it reasonable to restore a 77 to a complete matching numbers car? Everything at this point is orignal except the engine. Could I purchase a restoration engine with correct numbers on the block and castings?

The car is only original once. The matching numbers is out the window as the original motor has been replaced. Finding a correct block, heads,intake and exhaust manifolds, with correct casting numbers and date codes, will be an effort in itself. Still the vin won't match the serial number. I won't get into a restamp because I don't believe in it. I have a 77 and the motor was changed. I have a numbers correct motor for the car, the vin number is not. And it will stay that way. It is what it is...... Not what it was........Original

...Still the vin won't match the serial number...

I agree with Art. You can go to a lot of trouble and expense obtaining a correct engine and might even find one in the correct date range for your car, but she will never be original.

Why not give her a good tune up, drive and enjoy her as she is, and keep the rest of her original?

:)

I agree with Art. You can go to a lot of trouble and expense obtaining a correct engine and might even find one in the correct date range for your car, but she will never be original.

Why not give her a good tune up, drive and enjoy her as she is, and keep the rest of her original?

:)
I agree.

Restorations done to actually restore a vehicle will cost more than they are worth in most cases. Unless you have a very rare '77, and I do not know of any off the top of my head, set up a budget, replace, rebuild, modify so that you can enjoy the car.

tcxd40

I think it depends on what the car needs done, what you can do, is money a factor, does it have any sentimental value? In general the late 70's vettes are nice drivers and have gone up some in value but don't expect them to be high dollar cars. You can find them from $3000 to $8000 and the condition varies with them. Most have changed hands several times and the previous owners dumped too much into them to break even.

If money isn't a concern and you want this car then list what it needs and you'll get a better idea for your answer.
Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom