Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is Mobil 1 the best choice?

gonetobama13

Corvette
2004 Spiral Gray Metallic Coupe 6-speed
I've been using Mobil 1 oil & filters for my 2004 Vette (standard engine) from the beginning. I recently moved to Missouri, and my local GM service guy told me they use two types of oil for my car - Mobil and GTX, with the GTX being $30 cheaper for the oil/filter change (I forgot to ask about the filter options). Your advice? Thanks.
John K.

OOPS! I meant Castrol Edge, not GTX. My bad...........

Well, BEST choice is debatable...although I won't debate it. It is the choice of the manufacturer as they all came from the factory filled with Mobil 1. As long as the oil meets all the specifications it should be fine. Me, I'll stick with Mobil 1 and the AC/Delco filter. But then again I do my own oil changes.

Delco filters have been made by several vendors in the last few years. It's not like they are "Genuine GM" anymore. If you're stuck on Mobil 1, get their premium filter - they test out well. I use Pennzoil Platinum and a K&N filter. I like the built in installation/removal nut - no filter wrench to mess with. I think there are 4 synthetics besides Mobil 1 that meet the GM spec for oil. That reminds me - I have to change oil in the morning before it gets too hot out. :eyerole

I've been using Mobil 1 oil & filters for my 2004 Vette (standard engine) from the beginning. I recently moved to Missouri, and my local GM service guy told me they use two types of oil for my car - Mobil and GTX, with the GTX being $30 cheaper for the oil/filter change (I forgot to ask about the filter options). Your advice? Thanks.
John K.

OOPS! I meant Castrol Edge, not GTX. My bad...........

I don't believe that Castrol Edge meets GM4718M spec's that GM states C5's are supposed to use, make sure you know before you decide. I have found that Mobil 1 is the cheapest oil that meets GM spec's. :)

Just use Mobil 1 and be done with it!Period!Unless you want a GREAT debate-Three other great debates-oil filters,wax,tires,but tires can make a difference:w

My old '92 Vette was my first Vette and my first car that 'required' synthetic oil. I used nothing but Mobil 1 and AC Delco filters in it while I had it. When it was 11 years old and had 103,000 miles on it, I had the motor 'rebuilt' and improved with the LT4 Hot Cam, LT4 heads & Intake. As long as the motor was out of the car, I had them put in new bearings and rings.
The motor looked like new inside. It did not show any wear in the cylinders. It went back together with stock dimension rings and bearings. I'm sticking with Mobil 1 and the standard AC Delco filters on all my cars.

Is Mobil 1 the "best" choice?

No.

Is Mobil 1 a better choice than Castrol Edge?

Yes.

As for filters, the best filters in the market right now are, Wix, K&N and Mobil 1.

Is Mobil 1 the "best" choice?

No.

Is Mobil 1 a better choice than Castrol Edge?

Yes.

As for filters, the best filters in the market right now are, Wix, K&N and Mobil 1.

:thumb You get your own beacon of whatever award.

Based on all of your responses (and my gut), I'm going to stay with Mobil 1 oil and filters. M1 may not be the best choice, but it's not the worst either. Plus, it's the brand that most shops have in stock. Changing my own o&f is not an option. Thanks for your input.
John K

Support our troops and veteterans!

I don't believe that Castrol Edge meets GM4718M spec's that GM states C5's are supposed to use, make sure you know before you decide. I have found that Mobil 1 is the cheapest oil that meets GM spec's. :)

Dexos I is the new GM requirement for gasoline engines.

Dexos II is the new GM requirement for diesel engines.

If you go to the Castrol Product Data Sheet for both Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology and Castrol Edge with Fluid Strength Technology you will see that the old GM specs. are obsolete.

Oil technology is constantly being refined. Just like engines and tires.

Would you use a bias ply tire on your '63 Split Window Coupe because the tire was OEM at the time? Only you could say.

While investigating oil specs., please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

Oil & filters change ?

Based on all of your responses (and my gut), I'm going to stay with Mobil 1 oil and filters. M1 may not be the best choice, but it's not the worst either. Plus, it's the brand that most shops have in stock. Changing my own o&f is not an option. Thanks for your input.
John K

Support our troops and veteterans!

Oil is a subject on which everyone has very set opinions. I will defer to my esteemed fellow members above. But I'd like to throw a nugget of information to add to the advice. I have had my 2003 50th Anniversary edition coupe for 7 years now, and I feed it Shell 93V fuel, and Mobil-1 5W/30 motor oil & a Mobil-1 Oil filter of which I have read great reports on quality and effectiveness.

On that note, I want to inform you that the infamous, and what I believe to be the current and lasting high water mark for V8 performance, The LS9 "Blue Devil" supercharged engine leaves the Bowling Green, Ky factory with Mobil-1 in it. I would never argue with the very people who designed and built such a fabulous engine by converting it's blood to another petroleum company. For example, Porsche sends every vehicle it produces out of the Factory with Mobil-1 in them. Mobil-1 5W/30 in engines producing 350 HP or less and 0W/40 in all engines up to the top 540HP power-plant.

Now you have to keep in mind that Porsche Inc. and Mercedes-Benz AMG division (The Folks who build the hi-performance MB cars) Use Mobil-1 as well. Now these European manufactures selcet another oil, and they choose to use an American petroleum companies products which have to be imported. All the while Castrol oil is available to them and Castrol is a European company. Their owned by BP oil Inc. . . Yeah, the same gang who dumped a trillion gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico last year. Do you really think that those two Motor vehicle companies, would use anything they had a single doubt about it's quality in their cars ?

So as far as I'm concerned, Mobil-1 was fine with the General Motors power-train engineers, I'm not about to question their judgement. And Mobil-1 is the Factory fill for about 15 other manufactures who build extreme luxury or Hi-performance automobiles. all these companies can't all be wrong.
[/FONT]

...and Pennzoil and Shell are factory fills for Ferarri for the same reason the Mobil1 is the factory fill for the Vette - cross marketing and sponsorship of the factory racing effort.

...and Pennzoil and Shell are factory fills for Ferarri for the same reason the Mobil1 is the factory fill for the Vette - cross marketing and sponsorship of the factory racing effort.

"Catbert" gets the mid-week Beacon-of-Reality Award.

And what award, pray tell, do I receive? :L

My thanks to my mother and my father in advance! :rotfl

While learning about oil, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

Dexos I is the new GM requirement for gasoline engines.

Dexos II is the new GM requirement for diesel engines.

If you go to the Castrol Product Data Sheet for both Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology and Castrol Edge with Fluid Strength Technology you will see that the old GM specs. are obsolete.

Oil technology is constantly being refined. Just like engines and tires.

Would you use a bias ply tire on your '63 Split Window Coupe because the tire was OEM at the time? Only you could say.

While investigating oil specs., please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

I am aware that Dexos 1 is the new requirement for GM gas engines. I had not been to the Castrol data sheet to verify that it met GM's requirement, which is why I suggested to the OP that he checks and makes sure that it does.

And if you don't believe the amount of efforts the marketing teams put out to grab market share, here's only a small part of what Castrol gets up to

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CBwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.castrol.com%2Fliveassets%2Fbp_internet%2Fcastrol%2Fcastrol_usa%2FSTAGING%2Flocal_assets%2Fdownloads%2Fn%2FNCD_Dealership.pdf&rct=j&q=castrol exclusive jag&ei=FFdWTr_uMOTC0AHItNy2DA&usg=AFQjCNFpUNMYYaxjjq1tiZFs5A_CIephew&sig2=3pi0fSsg_cZKSD5Ojea9HQ&cad=rja

OEM endorsement of oil is not much more credible than sports celebrity endorsement of beer or soft drinks.

Exactly, When Jeff Gordon was asked why he runs Quaker State, he told the truth: they pay us to run it and put a decal on the car. An honest answer.

And what award, pray tell, do I receive? :L

My thanks to my mother and my father in advance! :rotfl

While learning about oil, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

You have been awarded the Chicago Cubs "we'll get-em next century" award presented by Tom Skilling from channel 9.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom