Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

is some noise normal when clutch is released

H

hallslt4

The throwout bearing seems okay,Jerry Watts says you
would hear a loud pitch if it was out.A dual mass
flywheel is very heavy,how does everybody elses sound
in neutral,and clutch disengaged?

hallslt4,
Mine "rattles" a little at idle. I think it's the "nature of the beast".
The "dual-mass flywheel" transmits the power pulses of the engine and makes some noise, as well as the ZF transmission which "rattles" in neutral.

Clutch noise with clutch released

My 90 has some noise as well, had ruled out the throwout bearing. Good to hear this May be common.

my input bearing is gone. Car in neutral, clutch released you get a high pitched whine. Been like that for 14 years, never got louder. Some day I'll get around to getting it fixed when something else goes wrong that warrants the repair

Did you guys notice that the original thread is from 2001. I have a 90 and a few yrs ago my clutch went out. The cause seems to have been the seal leaking lube from the flywheel causing it to slip and eventually burn the clutch. I replaced the clutch and the flywheel. Before I did this I had a rattle at idle especially warmed up. Afterwards the rattle is gone. After talking to the ZF Doc I found that the flywheels go bad and cause the rattle. Last I heard the flywheels are no longer available and a standard setup has to be use to replace them.

Did you guys notice that the original thread is from 2001.
Yes
Last I heard the flywheels are no longer available and a standard setup has to be use to replace them.
There are a few around, but real hard to find.

When Bill (ZFDoc) blueprinted my 'new' ZF6-40, he reshimmed an idler(I think) which eliminated the rattle to below the car exhaust noise. He mentioned, thankfully, some rattly-type noises at low engine RPM, under any acceleration while assuring me that it is just noise and not damaging. I hear it below 2000 and spend a fair amount of time there.

My BMW R1100RS 5-spd. bike also rattles at idle, clutch out.

My setup is semi-custom, dual organic clutch stack, from RAM. I chose the steel flywheel over aluminum flywheel for a few reasons, including a more stable idle RPM and easier launch; all due to the higher mass. Clatter was not really a concern for this car. That mass, I was told, is much closer to the stock 4+3 clutch weight. IF i were in 'need' of a quicker revving engine, I might have chosen aluminum, but my track days, are past; no more breaking parts on this Corvette.:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom