Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is this excessive C6 Harmonic Balancer wobble?

CardShark

I'm trying to diagnose the belt squeal coming from my '07 base manual C6 Coupe with 68K miles.

Does this look like excessive wobble to you guys?
VID_20200110_155905440.mp4 - Google Drive
VID_20200110_155837397.mp4 - Google Drive
VID_20200110_160156511.mp4 - Google Drive

I did 3 different angles since it looks a little bit different from each view.

There is also surface rust on several of the pulleys since my C6 hasn't been driven much (< 500 miles) in the last 2 years.
Could that be the source of the squeal?

Looks purdy wobbly to me,All that rust will make a belt squeal too!:thumb
Balencer could be loose or the rubber spun in it,Or both!~!:thumb:thumb

Looks purdy wobbly to me,All that rust will make a belt squeal too!:thumb

Yea, I definitely want to clean off the rust to eliminate that as a potential cause, it's just on the surface.

I just got the belt off and was going to use WD-40 to clean off the rust but just realized that might adversely affect the belt when I put it back on
Anybody have any recommendations?

Just an update in case it helps others.

So I took off both belts, the idler pulley, and both tensioner pulleys.

Both of the tensioner pulleys have grease seals that you can remove with a small pick.
I removed those seals, blew out the old grease with brake clean, and filled both pulleys with high temp/high pressure bearing grease.

It turns out the idler pulley on a C6 can't be serviced so there is no point removing that unless you are replacing it.

I sprayed WD-40 on all the rusty surfaces and scrubbed with with some metal brushes.
I then went over them with some fine sand paper since some of them had a bit of pitting.
Cleaned all of them off with brake clean to remove any WD-40 residue.

This is where it gets shitty....while torqueing the bolt that holds the A/C tensioner to the block, the bolt snapped off in the block!
banghead.gif

I didn't want to deal with that right now and don't really need A/C for now so just left that off.

I reinstalled the old serpentine belt, fired it up and..........ahhh, the sweet "silence" of a slightly lumpy cam and the exhaust
woohoo.gif

There is still a very slight squeal that is intermittent but it's night and day.

So to sum it up, my horrible squealing was caused by either the surface rust on the pulleys, by the tensioner pulley for the serpentine belt, or something on the A/C side.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom