Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Harmonic Balancer Wobble

Where I work used to make them until the plant expanded and Dampers moved to another building. Torsional Vibration Damper is the correct name, but no one calls them that. :D

They are tuned for specific applications: Tuned Torsional Vibration Damper

As they must "tune" two frequencies four cylinders are the worst: Dual Torsional Vibration Damper Optimization

My C5's was wobbling and squeaking so I went with an ATI Super Damper Harmonic damper (phew) which is pinned.

ATI - Super Dampers® for Chevy Engines

There is a fair amount of discussion in that "other" corvette forum regarding harmonic crankshaft balancer problems in C6's with LS2 engines. The problem with 2005's is covered under TSB 05-06-01-001 and is due to a loosening crankshaft pulley bolt.

There are also reports of problems with 2006's where the rubber to metal bonding in the balancer is failing early causing it to wobble and damage the serpentine belt as well as components driven by the serpentine belt (idler, tensioner, alternator). The early warning is a constant chirping noise coming from the serpentine belt system.

Well, guess what. The belt on my 06 is chirping and the balancer is wobbling! It seems that some visible wobble is acceptable - although this makes no sense to me. A device which is designed to dampen harmonic vibrations should be true! Otherwise it would generate vibrations of it's own.

So, has anyone in this forum had experience with this issue? How much is too much wobble? Is there any other way to determine if the balancer has deteriorated ie Shoud I remove the serpentine belt and feel for play in the balancer pulley?

Bryan.

Hi Bryan my o6 made chirping noises I took it to Chevrolet it cost me $1300 to fix it I think it's a safety issue my balanced was ready to come off if it did it would have gone throught the front of the car and totaled the car and most likely an accident. Chevrolet doesn't see it that way

Hi Bryan my o6 made chirping noises I took it to Chevrolet it cost me $1300 to fix it I think it's a safety issue my balanced was ready to come off if it did it would have gone throught the front of the car and totaled the car and most likely an accident. Chevrolet doesn't see it that way
I highly doubt it would have "come off"! The Steering rack is inches away from the balancer. When they loosen up or debond they move one of two way..towards the engine and mess up the timing cover or towards the steering rack and rub against that.

Oh and BTW: C5's have the same ongoing problem. My 04 has a very slight wobble as well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom