Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Is this the correct reverse rod for a Muncie?

VetteVirgin

Corvette
Ermine '61
I'm hoping this is just a parts issue!
The reverse rod impacts the top of the transmission mount/cross member midway between neutral and reverse.
This is on my '61 with a M20 Muncie and a OEM style shifter. The shifter and rods are new repro's from Paragon which I am installing for the first time. If the rod had a second bend near the shifter like the BW reverse rod in the diagram it would clear easily.
I initially thought the clearance issue was caused by the difference in thickness between the BW mounting bracket and the Muncie adapter plate that replaces it, but even with 3/16" shims the shift rod is still about a 1/4" short of clearing the cross member, which begs a second question:
Should the adapter plate be shimmed and if so, how much? Anyone know the height of the BW mounting bracket?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

:confusedDT:confused

Addendum:
Bad news for me: I just confirmed with Paragon that the rod is correct, so I ordered a new crossmember and retainer along with the mounting bracket for the T-10 so I can measure the correct offset/drop. At least I now know why reverse was so hard to engage with the old tranny and Hurst shifter! Bubba strikes again!

vettevirgin-albums-61-picture2758-reverse-rod.jpg

The problem was the Bubba engineered crossmember assembly. Bubba had the old rubber mount installed upside down without the correct retainer and instead with a "custom" Bubba retainer on the WRONG side of the cross member! Oh the joy!
It is rather challenging working on one of these cars for the first time and NOT being able to use the disassembly as a guide to reassembly!

DT

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom