Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

It just won't start...

ScubaSteve

Corvette
1996 Arctic White Coupe
I bought a '96 coupe a few weeks ago and I'm already having problems... The other day I drove home and parked it. The next morning the engine would crank but wouldn't fire up.

There was no indication that it was having problems performance-wise, but the SES light had come on solid and stayed on while the car was running. I bought an OBDII code reader and along with the paperclip jumper pulled all the codes. Only problem is there weren't any. I didn't think this was possible?

Throughout trying to troubleshoot the problem I've replaced the ECM, ignition module, ignition coil and TPS. The place I bought the car from says they had just replaced the water pump, seals and optispark.

I've validated that I have good fuel pressure at the rails, fuses are all good, etc. Everything else seems fine. Just no spark. I tried the troubleshooting steps I found in the Haynes manual, chiltonlibrary.com and the forums here and so far I've only found that the "C" wire on the ignition module, which is supposed to contain an AC reference current from the ECM when cranking, has no power.

The manual says to replace the ECM, but I just did... and it's the exact same behavior as with the old one. So before I throw more good money after bad, are there other things I can check? Could it be the optispark? Is there an electrical test I can perform on it without disassembling most of the front end of the engine? :)

Or am I better off just having it towed to the local chevy dealer and taking in the rear... err... wallet with them?

Thanks!

*sigh* Turns out to be the optispark... And since I don't have the equipment to change that out I had to have it towed to a shop.

Grand total? $1,400. OUCH!

I didn't realize I was getting a second wife when I bought this car! :)

Welcome to the :CAC Sorry for your early problems. Tell us more about the car you bought. And just to fall back in love with the car schedule a day to go out and drive 3 or 4 hundred miles. After that the smile will be back on your face and the early problems will be forgotten.:beer

Thanks for the welcome! I'm quite glad to be here. This is my first Vette and something I've wanted for a long time... Ever since my dad had one ('76) but sold before I turned 16 (go figure!). And now I'm in a financial position where I could buy a big toy (for cash!) and enjoy it. I only wonder why all my friends keep telling me I'm having a midlife crisis... I'm only 33.

She's an arctic white '96 coupe with the glass top. Automatic transmission (i know, i know, but my wife wants to be able to drive it).

And I'm sure I'll be back in love with it the second I drive it out of the shop :)
I just hate having to wait until tuesday!

I believe you stated that the dealer you bought the car from had installed a new opti... could you maybe get warrenty on it through them ?

Glenn
:w

I believe you stated that the dealer you bought the car from had installed a new opti... could you maybe get warrenty on it through them

Glenn
:w

My thoughts exactly. :w

*sigh* Turns out to be the optispark... And since I don't have the equipment to change that out I had to have it towed to a shop.

Grand total? $1,400. OUCH!

I didn't realize I was getting a second wife when I bought this car! :)

I can't say anything else to help you that hasn't been said already. BUT, I'd check around with any local Corvette clubs as to a top notch shop that works on Corvettes. Here in my section of PA we have a couple of excellant shops that deal with corvettes only. Good luck and come spring, get out there and enjoy that corvette.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm quite glad to be here. This is my first Vette and something I've wanted for a long time... Ever since my dad had one ('76) but sold before I turned 16 (go figure!). And now I'm in a financial position where I could buy a big toy (for cash!) and enjoy it. I only wonder why all my friends keep telling me I'm having a midlife crisis... I'm only 33.

She's an arctic white '96 coupe with the glass top. Automatic transmission (i know, i know, but my wife wants to be able to drive it).

And I'm sure I'll be back in love with it the second I drive it out of the shop :)
I just hate having to wait until tuesday!

Next time your friends give you hell about you hitting your mid-life crisis, ask them: Do they think you're already half dead? :boogie ...I wouldn't worry about it too much. I got my '88 Z51 two years ago and I'm only 28. Welcome to the forum!!!

Don't worry about your friends.
I bought my C3 when I was 22. Turned 24 a few weeks ago.

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I had trouble with mine 2 weeks after i bought it. You'll spend a lot of time and money fixing it, but once you get it running you won't regret it.

Good Luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom