Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

It was nice while it lasted

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
This just makes me sick. After all the time I spent sanding, filling, cleaning, grinding, etc. on the firewall of the 69 and finally painting it base/clear black, it developed a small bubble during the baking phase in the paint booth.

It appears this is from some moisture or trapped grease that finally worked out. As said before, I am glad it happened now instead of after the big block is in.

Anyway, gimp arm and gimp gut I am slowly sanding it back down.

That is okay, the pistons and fuel injection are not here yet so I have some time.

I will post some pics when I get a chance.

Chris....so many bad things are happening to you lately, I need an antidepressant. Just kidding. :) That's a real shame about the bubble, after all your hard work...very frustrating for you.
Please protect your other arm...don't want you to have to repaint holding the brush in your teeth.

Hang in there...you have no where to go but up. :) Just think of how far you have come in your restoration. Not only will you have a gorgeous vette, but you will have the satisfaction of knowing it was all your hard work that made it that way.

:w
Patti

Chris,

Better one bubble than fish eyes...;) After we had painted my hubbys 78 Pace Car it developed fish eyes (?) The paint shop totally re-stripped the car and repainted it. That was after the car was all the way back together. They weren't really happy about but it happens.:w

Thanks for the pick me up. This kind of stuff really takes the wind out of your sails. Here is what it looks like now.

click on the http link if it won't show here.

View

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1428880&a=13584041&p=56229610

MY69

I wouldn't feel to bad our engine compartment looks like a sludge bomb went off inside of it ...... 69 your car looks extremly nice can you send me pics of it when its done

Jeff

Man Chris,

What a bummer. Hey,, considering your patience and tenacity I know we will be cruising side by side in no time at all.:upthumbs

Chris,

You know every time you start a project this size, something is going to happen. Know you have the finished project firmly planted in your mind & will work toward that end.

Despite the setback (envitable) the car is coming along & seeing things like body color on has to be a major motivator.

Know you will get past this & move on & soon will be firing up one of the best restored 69's around.

You da man,
John

Stuff happens

Bummer Chris. When I did that black laquer on the wife's '77 T/A I found a slight dimple in the right door that I never saw or felt before. Said a few things. Some under my breath, some not. Then started sanding. I guess we just have to consider it pratice towards the ultimate goal of perfection. Hope nothing else pops up.

Tom

WOW!!!!!!

Okay, it took me from Friday to yesterday with my gimp belly, but with the last minute help of Nikki we tackeled the firewall repair. Here is the cool thing. It looks better now than before (before the bubble). There were a couple of areas that were kind of dry on the clear before, but still shinny. I would have like to redo them anyway, but could not justify it. Since the paint bubble, I did not have a choice.

We went ahead and sprayed the headlight trim and rear vents while taking care of this situation.

I have had a real problem with fish eyes on the gas lid door and the headlight trim. These are both made of that strange cheap aluminum/zink/pot metal. I can only assume that despite my best efforts to wash with soap and water, chemical final clean, and laquer thinner, something is still trapped deep down inside. I will install them for now, and keep an eye out for a set of the plastic headlight trim pieces as found on the newer models, and another gas door.

Congratulations!

Chris,

Congratulations on getting the repair done! I'm glad it came out so well! Sorry to hear about the fish eyes on the other pieces though, I know those can be a real pain!:( I hope you will be able to get them resolved too.:w

fish eyes

Chris,

Have you tried Fish Eye Eliminater? I have had good success with it in the past on stuborn areas. A couple pumps into the mix usually does it.

Tom

Re: Stuff happens

59Tom said:
Bummer Chris. When I did that black laquer on the wife's '77 T/A I found a slight dimple in the right door that I never saw or felt before. Said a few things. Some under my breath, some not. Then started sanding. I guess we just have to consider it pratice towards the ultimate goal of perfection. Hope nothing else pops up.

Tom

Chris,
I Ditto 59Tom on this one.
Lookin Real good , What can I add, Ok how bout this..
perfection is directly related to some level of compromise in order to ultimately attain a finished product. Only you and Nikki will know those little bitty compromises at projects end. Your Goals are high, the imperfections will be minor. Excellent Job :upthumbs
TomC

The fisheye stuff does work great. I have not used any in years as the general quality of paints, and my preperation is usually top notch.

Had a little set back with the appendix surgery recovery. Got a little infection and it has slowed me down to a halt. In fact, I hardly got out of bed today. Some antibiotics and stronger pain pills and I will be as good as new soon.

This was suppose to be my vacation time :cry

Looks like it will be coded as Paid Sick Leave, and I can use the vacation time at a later date. It still bites the big one.

Tom,

Not the best place for this thread, but just wanted to let you know I too will be doing the MSD distributor as well as the MSD box. Going with silver faced electronic gauges and doing away with the tach drive.

Tom,

Sounds like you overdid! You'd better take care of yourself so you can enjoy the 69!:w

No pistons, they are on never never land back order. I did some research and came back to the conclusion that it is in my best interests to wait it out so that my engine package is Apples to Apples of the complete Edelbrock package. Plus, other than being heavy the forged pistons are very strong and will take a little laughing gas if I so desire (and I do). The fuel injection is also not here yet. I have had words with the parts house, even got a couple of fender covers out of it, but I can't speed anything else up right now.

For once, I am actually not guilty of overdoing it. The Doc said that things sometimes escape from the appendix while they are removing it that surface later in the form of an infection. I had two I/V induced bottles of antibiotics at the hospital, and I guess that stayed it off for a few days.

Take care of yourself

We don't need any stinking infections. You should have let the CAC Surgical Staff do the surgury. I have a brand new chain saw that hasn't even had gas in it yet. Guaranteed no tree sap would be left in the work area.

Tom

Chris,
I thought baking was a no no, only used when a fast turnaround is needed.
Isn't the air dry for a week method preferable?
I'm confused.

redmist said:
Chris,
I thought baking was a no no, only used when a fast turnaround is needed.
Isn't the air dry for a week method preferable?
I'm confused.

You are correct. However, we put a sealer on the car and followed it with the first coat of base. They had just changed filters in the booth and an extra amount of trash was flying around and got into the base. So, he baked it to flash it off hard, then went in with dry 600 and nibbed out the little dust bunnies. We blew it all down, then finished it off. From there we air dried it overnight. No heat.

Heat is a bad thing on fiberglass or rubber body parts.

Chris

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom