Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

It's been a bad 85' Corvette week - WEAK SPARK

ltmark

Corvette
1985 coupe, bright red
I had a post a few days ago re: fuel Rails and bad injectors. Took the day replacing an injector and cleaning the Plenum, etc. etc. When through, it ran 94% better, but I decided to replace the coil and Dist. module in an attempt to fix the miss that was still present. Also new wires and plugs. I put in the new cap, rotor, dist. module and coil; I didn't forget the ground strap and then NO SPARK...or actually a very weak spark!

WTF? This is not a good week! Everything inside is new except the pick-up coil that measures the suggested 800 ohms according to the FSM. There is 12V at the B+ and 12V at the C-.

I put the old stuff back in and the same thing...very weak spark that will never fire a cylinder? What the heck have I done?

** Note: I originally decided to change the module because while working my original problem, I was setting the timing with the EST wire disconected and it arc'd to the manifold and I read that if that happened, it can wreck the module. However, after that occurred, it still started fine, even though it wasn't running right!

I have quadruple checked the timing...it's a just a very weak spark after I pulled it apart and replaced the indicated items!

Somebody give me some wisdom!

FIRST bad...

I had a post a few days ago re: fuel Rails and bad injectors. Took the day replacing an injector and cleaning the Plenum, etc. etc. When through, it ran 94% better, but I decided to replace the coil and Dist. module in an attempt to fix the miss that was still present. Also new wires and plugs. I put in the new cap, rotor, dist. module and coil; I didn't forget the ground strap and then NO SPARK...or actually a very weak spark!

WTF? This is not a good week! Everything inside is new except the pick-up coil that measures the suggested 800 ohms according to the FSM. There is 12V at the B+ and 12V at the C-.

I put the old stuff back in and the same thing...very weak spark that will never fire a cylinder? What the heck have I done?

** Note: I originally decided to change the module because while working my original problem, I was setting the timing with the EST wire disconected and it arc'd to the manifold and I read that if that happened, it can wreck the module. However, after that occurred, it still started fine, even though it wasn't running right!

I have quadruple checked the timing...it's a just a very weak spark after I pulled it apart and replaced the indicated items!

Somebody give me some wisdom!
call 951-970-3134,I will try 2 help w/85 tpi.this site helped me.

just fnn w/ ya.somebody will if I dont. U R playin w/ 85 engine technology. 25 years l8r. Iknow an old guy.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom