Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

It's Not So Much About the Car as it is - The People

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
I debated long and hard about writing this piece on the Corvette Action Center because it's not the purpose of this site.

When I started the site over 20 years ago, I had one goal - one foundation in mind. It's that foundation that I've spent the last 20 years building through blood, sweat and tears:

The prime directive of the Corvette Action Center is to promote the awareness, preservation and enjoyment of the Chevrolet Corvette and help educate owners and enthusiasts by providing a professional and reliable online source of Corvette news and information.
...not opinion.

However, because of what I've seen and witnessed over the course of this year and especially today, I feel the need to step up on top of that foundation and use my voice.

Isn't Social Media Grand?​

I've spent a good portion of my weekend on social media which unfortunately, now I regret.

I've seen long time friends and family members in the Corvette community (not mine per-se...) tear one another apart over politics and the upcoming presidential election like a bunch of rabid dogs. I've seen friendships end and family members say "you're dead to me".

I've personally witnessed complete strangers flinging insults at one another for political stickers they have on their car and then I received this notification from a friend this morning:

My wife got verbally attacked yesterday by a man twice her size [at a grocery store] Why did this happen? Simply because she was wearing a Biden 2020 mask!! It’s one thing when I read or watch about Trump Supporters on the news, but it's another when it’s my wife being attacked for simply wearing a Biden Mask! It becomes personal when it’s my wife!
I've stepped away from it all feeling sad. Sad for our society and sad for humanity in general.

What have we become as a society? As human beings!?

The BS and animosity that I've seen this year alone is far greater than I've seen during my entire lifetime on this planet. The level of polarization and the "us vs them" mentality has risen to an unspeakable measure.

And the root cause of it all? The increasing lack of respect for one another coupled with the inability to think for one's self.

It's become far too easy for everyone to say "F*** off" and attack someone rather than to simply say: "I understand where you're coming from, but don't agree with your views".

Thanks to the steady stream of consciousness that has become social media as we know it - we've become lazy thinkers.

It's far easier to listen to one news report or news channel and form your opinion from that, than it is to try and remain open-minded and listen to multiple news sources and form your opinion from the collective.

Before We Give 2020 the Boot in the Ass it Deserves...​

There isn't a single person out there that can dispute that 2020 hasn't been one of the worst years we've ever experienced in modern times. As a result, it's no surprise that the presidential election coming up this Tuesday is probably one of the most important elections this country has seen in decades.

However, I want each and every person that reads this to remember a few things:

It doesn't matter if you're black or white. It doesn't matter if you're Anglo-Saxon, Asian, Latino, etc. It doesn't matter if you're Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, Atheist, gay, straight, bisexual, transexual, male, female, short, tall, fat, skinny, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian or any combination in between.

What DOES MATTER is that you VOTE - you RESPECT one another's right to vote - AND you respect their opinion even if you don't agree with it.

While you may not agree with their choice for president, as long as they're not forcing their choice on you, then you do have a responsibility as a human being to RESPECT their choice.

If you love President Trump and you're happy with what he's done during his term - then vote for him. If you think Joe Biden is a better candidate and more inline with your political views, then vote for him. If you think the Libertarian candidate is the best choice for you, then vote for them.

Regardless of who you choose, just get up off your ass - step away from your NetFlix and Nintendo and let your voice be heard. Do it with some level of decency and RESPECT for one another.

It's Not So Much About the Corvette As It Is About The People​

Years ago, I met a guy on one of the very first Corvette bulletin board services before the World Wide Web even existed. He was a Corvette enthusiast, a Vietnam Veteran and a true American patriot. Unfortunately, he's no longer with us, but I'll never forgot something he always used to say:

It's not so much about the car as it is about the people...
To this day, I've never forgotten those words.

Because of a lump of metal and plastic, I've met some incredible people and forged bonds and friendships that have lasted for over twenty years. While some of us may not agree with one another at times, we have always respected one another - not just as Corvette enthusiasts, but as fellow human beings.

Corvette Action Center CruiseFest 2005 Corvette Action Center CruiseFest 2005

Regardless of who any of us choose to vote for, or what political party you side more with, we all have a singular bond: the Corvette and the respect for one another as Corvette owners and enthusiasts...as human beings!

And THAT is all that matters.

While it was the car that brought us together, it is the mutual RESPECT for each other that has and should continue to hold us together.

Sadly, I see that dying a very quick death in our community.

So before you verbally or physically attack someone for their political views, or their choice to vote for one candidate over another, remember this:

When you're out driving your Corvette, and you pass another Corvette driver and both wave, before you extended that greeting and sign of mutual respect, did you ask yourself: "I wonder if they're a Democrat or a Republican. I wonder who they voted for during the election"?

Corvette owners saving the wave!Chances are, your answer is "NO". Why? Because quite simply, you didn't give a shit and at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

What does matter is that you had that initial respect for one another because of Corvette ownership and brotherhood. Now take that initial respect and carry it with you through your words and actions with EVERYONE you interact with.

It's fine to discuss, debate and argue as long as you retain some modicum of respect for one another - as rational human beings - not irrational beasts.

Absolutely perfect, Rob. Thanks for posting these very important points.

Elaine

Reactions: Rob
Well Said!!!

Well said Rob. One thing I know for sure is that you will never change someone's political views by arguing and fighting. I use that "suspend viewing posts from this person for 30 days" button a lot on social media. No
arguing. No hard feelings. They don't know I'm not reading their posts and in the end, when the 30 days have passed, the topic has usually also passed and we are still friends.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom