Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

It's time to paint the the '67 coupe

zr1vp

Corvette
2007 Z06
It's time to paint the '67 coupe

I'm afraid it's time to paint my '67 427/435 coupe. Can anyone give me an idea of what it's going to cost? I have some minor cracking around (1) headlight otherwise the body is pristine.

I would refer you to the discussion going on with Barry and I think it's titled "Baby goes into the beauty shop today"

Hi

first of all welcome to the forum!
:)

I think you will probably find most good quality paint jobs running in the range of 6k to 8K. I actually had a shop quote me an insane price of 20k for a paint job!
You can probably get some other possibly lower pricing but be very careful on how they are going to paint the car. Some places like to lowball a price but instead of completely stripping the old paint they try to just sand down the existing paint so it's a smooth surface and paint over it or instead of taking all the extra labor to remove all the chrome and stainless trim they only mask it off and no matter how good they try you WILL end up with visible masking lines or overspray.

If you see my thread I actually got VERY lucky (for a nice change) and got an incredible deal of only 5k for a very high quality paint job including repairs of some fiberglass on the car. I only managed this because the guy i am using who is known in my area as an EXCELLENT Vette body and paint guy is also known for underpricing his services (none of us wants to tell him though because than he will raise his prices to us LOL). Unfortunately he is also slow so where other shops would probably have my car done in about 10 days or 2 weeks I have no idea when i'll see my car again - it might not be until next Spring for all i know!

Be sure to shop around and make sure the shop is experienced in painting Vettes. Many places don't do Vettes or very few of them, and painting a fiberglass car is different than painting a metal car. See if you can get recommendations from members of a Vette club or NCRS chapter in your area for a good painter for Vettes.

most of all find out beforehand exactly what they plan on doing and how when giving you a quote. Also find out what kind of paint they intend on using. I had an older laquer paint on the car but choose against going with laquer again for a number of reasons. First, when I had an incident with the paint blistering on my hood last spring I was told that laquer paint jobs are MUCH harder to touch up than base/clear and therefore it also makes repairs more expensive if needed. Second, If you do have laquer and get repairs or touchups made it's not the same number of layers as the main paint job so will always be different. I was also told that also laquer initially dries very quickly, it really needs a number of months to properly set up and cure before doing a proper wetsanding to make it look it's best - I didn't want to leave it in the shop for an additional 6 months for that! If in the future the paint starts to look "tired or old" from oxidation, etc it can be wetsanded which basically will take a layer or two of the laquer off and it will look like new again but after a few times of this you will wear all the laquer off. improper buffing of the car can also burn off layers of the laquer which would be noticable.
There is enamel paint which is a one step process - spray it on and that's it but than there is no clear coat protecting it.
I chose the urathene base coat/clear coat paint. From what I was told if I get chips or any scrathes or other "boo-boo's" in the future this is much easier to blend into the existing paint job than it will be with my current laquer paint. Also, in a number of years if the paint needs a "freshening up", it can be wetsanded down and if necessary a new coat of clear applied and it looks like new again.

I hope this helps a little.

If I got any details on the various painting processes wrong i'm sure others will chime in because this is all new to me and I had to just go through a quick education on all this stuff this week for my car and I may have some details wrong or misunderstood some of what was told to me

Barry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom