Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Jack Pads and jacks ??

Tomray

Corvette
2010 Grand Sport Coupe
I keep seeing rubber jack pads available in reference to C6 Corvettes...........Do I need them/ how and when are they used?

If I wanted to jack my care in my garage, what type of Jack would I need?

Is there a compact jack on the market that works well with a C6 ?

How about a folding Lug Wrench?

I already own a Tire Plug kit, and yes, I know how to use it, and also a compact Air Compressor that resides in my Jeep.

All these questions arise while researching the idea of going to conventional tires............

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

The purpose of the pads is to keep you from cracking/breaking/damaging the lower panel that rolls under the sides of the Corvette. Jacking points are on the outer frame rails, but are recessed where a "normal" jack can't really reach them. Thus the use of the jacking pads...... I built my own out of wood and an eye bolt. The eye bolt is inserted into the slot in the frame rail and 'twisted' slightly to hold it in place while the jack is positioned under it. Once the jack is under the pad, the jack is used to raise the car up. You will want to use one whenever you use the jack on the Corvette, so you don't damage the body panel.

As far as jacks go. I bought the 1 1/2 ton aluminum 'racing' jack from Harbor Freight. Some people might scoff at me for buying the "cheap" jack, but it serves my purposes very well, and I've had no problems with it in the almost ten years that I have owned it.

The folding lug wrench, I can't comment on. I have all kinds of tools, socket sets, etc. that I don't use a dedicated lug wrench. I would purchase a torque wrench to finish tightening the lugs to the 100 lb ft recommended torque. Over tightening can lead to warped rotors, under tighening can lead to the wheel coming off and we know that would be bad.

As Tom posted ,I myself prefer to buy the pucks from any of the Corvette parts catalogs .I'd feel cheated if I saved money :D .Now I went to Harbor Freight and bought 4 relatively inexpensive hydraulic scissor jacks .

PS: Torque on your lug nuts is 100 lbs so you'll need a decent Torque wrench ,a 1/2 inch drive ratchet and a 3/4 inch socket

Good luck

Toms007 and Vett Boy,

Thanks to both of you for your replies............

I can certainly churn out a few Oak jack Pads, now that I understand more about them........I'll need to take some Diameter measurements, and also measure for the right sized eye bolt.

I hadn't thought of a dedicated 1/2 drive ratchet and a good socket..............Iv'e got a few to pick from. Thank you also for the info on the Torque specs..............I doubt I'll get that set correctly from a Tire Jockey............

Thanks to you both, again......

Tom

Last edited:
Jack pads......a must have!!!! Harbor freight racing jack.......well worth the money.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Tomray one thing to consider is that one of the only ways to clean a C5 or C6 wheel is to remove the wheel .Not only about polishing a surface that no one can see it's about tar and crud build up .I've had enough build up that I felt it could effect my wheel balance .ALSO while i'm sliding around on a creeper I clean and vacuum my radiator which can really collect crap.

On my C5 I bought some heavy duty plastic square pucks, drilled a hole in the center and used a bolt and piece of galvanized metal bar to insert into the hole of the lower frame rail. I tapped the metal bar to the bolt thread and permanently bolted all 4 in place. Has worked perfect since July '94 and I never have to look for the pucks or install them. :)

On my C5 I bought some heavy duty plastic square pucks, drilled a hole in the center and used a bolt and piece of galvanized metal bar to insert into the hole of the lower frame rail. I tapped the metal bar to the bolt thread and permanently bolted all 4 in place. Has worked perfect since July '04 and I never have to look for the pucks or install them. :)

On my C5 I bought some heavy duty plastic square pucks, drilled a hole in the center and used a bolt and piece of galvanized metal bar to insert into the hole of the lower frame rail. I tapped the metal bar to the bolt thread and permanently bolted all 4 in place. Has worked perfect since July '04 and I never have to look for the pucks or install them. :)

Nice way to permently attach your jack pads :cool!:

Nice way to permently attach your jack pads :cool!:

Yeah, it works really well. This website was a little odd in posting it though............:)

On my C5 I've always just usede a floor jack under the suspension and nevered had to use pads. I just pick a solid ppoint on the suspension (not in the middle of a suspension arm) and have never had an issue. I too mainly use the HF aluminum floor jacks, under $80 on sale. If I am working on the brakes and need a jack stand I just place that under a suspension pickup point.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom