Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Jump starting

BOONE93

Corvette
1993 WHITE COUPE
If the battery goes dead after winter storage will jump starting have a negative effect on the computer? A freind of mine told me this can ruin the computer.I do plan on un- hooking battery. A trickle charger is not an option. Thanks in advance for any replys.

Not a Vette, but I jumped my old 90 Z24 once and I'll never do it again on a computerized car unless I had to. Needless to say, several hundred dollars later I had a new chip:(. Since then I have considered batteries as a maintenance item and replace them every four years.

In an emergency, stranded, yes I would jump one. Even if you unhook it, some drain will occur.

Why is a trickle charger not an option? If you can't trickle, I would advise getting a nice battery charger and follow the instructions for an out-of-the-car charge before you start the car next spring. The one I have tells me instantly if the battery is dead and in a few minutes will tell me if it is chargeable. I use the lowest charge setting for 12-volts to keep the battery in good shape. Of course, I haven't used my charger since I sold my 71.

Good luck!

If the battery goes dead after winter storage will jump starting have a negative effect on the computer? A freind of mine told me this can ruin the computer.I do plan on un- hooking battery. A trickle charger is not an option. Thanks in advance for any replys.

Curious as to why trickle charger is not an option. Can't you remove the battery and put it on a bench. Any battery will go dead if not used for 4 months. Better to charge the battery than jump start. Use that as a last resort.

I agree with warp8, it's better to charge the battery than jump, which should really be for emergencies only. For one thing, your alternator isn't designed to charge a dead battery.

Jump Starting

If you do have to jump-start, always hook up the Neg cable first, and unhook it last. This will lessen the chance of spiking the ECM. We jump start a number of cars every year, and haven't had a problem by using this method.

HD2HVETTE is right on. It's the hesitation and funbling connections that creates spikes and can damage electronic circuitry. I jump my vette often and use a two-part cable. You connect the seperate ends to each battery (the Vette and a donor car) then connect the center plug. This eliminates hesitation and also any sparks near the engine compartment. Never had a problem. It's also good practice to be certain the clamps are making good clean contact with the battery terminals.

How would one of those emergency batteries (just a different package battery)
work?

The one I have at my shop has an on-off switch, so you would just hook up both cables securely, turn switch on, and start car. Most emergency battery kits I have seen are similar. Mine is an ATD model, very inexpensive.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom