Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Jumping Spark

Rosita Grande

Corvette
67 Marlboro Maroon Coupe, 93 Anniversary Conv
Rosita Grande, my 67, 468ci Big Block Coupe, has 2 inch exhaust headers to a 4" collector and 4" side pipe. The heads are rect Merlins from World Products. On the 1,3,5 and 7 side the exhaust is really close to the spark plug and wire on the 3 plug. I "clearanced " the header and have wrapped the plug wire with protectors. I am still getting some spark jumping to the header.

Does anyone know of some type protection, either wrap or cover that will prevent this?

Hib...Right now I have MSD on. I have tried several types, even looking at the ceramic encased......that were available several years ago but there was not enough room for them to fit on the plug and not be against the header. It almost looks like I need some type material to put between the header and plug wire but I don't know what material that could be.

MSD, if it's the SuperConductors, is the best plug wire on the market. That's what I use on my 460" Big-Block and I've never had any issues with arching and I not using anything other than the normal MSD boots.

Sounds like you may have a poorly designed set of headers.

Post an image which shows the boot and how close it is to the header pipe.

Try the ceramic boot plugs from accel, they withstand 4000 degrees and ive run em for 8 years no problem. I used to have the same issue as you with my full race headers, and I would get a throttle chop while accelerating, pricing is about $140. they will be the last plugs you'll ever buy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom