Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Just got my 92 LT1 Corvette today, need help for a couple of items.

89blackvette

Corvette
1992 white Coupe
Just picked up my 1982 LT1 Corvette today. Oil Tem gauge and water temp gauge both are indicating 0. Where are these two sending units located on the engine. I have not had time to get a shop manual and car does not have owners manual with it. I have no experience with the LT1, yet. Car runs great and does not seem to be overheating 48K miles. I like to go to the sensors first as they are usually inexpensive and fairly easy to replace, they are over 20 years old so I would probably replace them at a later date. Just want gauges to work. I know this one will seem stupid, how do you set the clock on the Bose radio with CD and Tape player? I hope some one can help me on the temp senders today so I can replace them tomorrow. Thanks for your replies. Guess I need to change my forum ID from 89blackvette to 92whitevette.Mike

Just picked up my 1982 LT1 Corvette today. Oil Tem gauge and water temp gauge both are indicating 0. Where are these two sending units located on the engine. I have not had time to get a shop manual and car does not have owners manual with it. I have no experience with the LT1, yet. Car runs great and does not seem to be overheating 48K miles. I like to go to the sensors first as they are usually inexpensive and fairly easy to replace, they are over 20 years old so I would probably replace them at a later date. Just want gauges to work. I know this one will seem stupid, how do you set the clock on the Bose radio with CD and Tape player? I hope some one can help me on the temp senders today so I can replace them tomorrow. Thanks for your replies. Guess I need to change my forum ID from 89blackvette to 92whitevette.Mike

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...9765-forum-username-change-requests-here.html

-Mac

I know this one will seem stupid, how do you set the clock on the Bose radio with CD and Tape player?

If its the same as the 96's you push the "set" button, then within 5 seconds, use the radio tuner buttons to go up or down.
The radio has to be off to do this

Good luck with the car..

Oil Temp gauge and water temp gauge
Where are these two sending units located on the engine.
Temp gauge sender is in the head (pass side between #6 + 8 plugs ???)

Oil temp sender is located above the oil filter

OPSwitch_zpsb7ac40dc.jpg

Last edited:
FYI
The oil pressure senders are at rear of engine.
Smaller unit is for the analog OP gauge
Larger unit is the OP switch for fuel pump and digital gauge combined

LT1Switch.jpg

Use GMpartsgiant.com to get a drawing breakdown of all parts on the engine.

Gauges

I meant do the digital temps read zero too?
Got the time set on the radio, thanks guys. I said the car is new to me and I did not realize that there were digital volts. oil temp and coolant temp digital gauges also. I pressed the button on the dash that said GAUGES and guess what there they were. Both temp gauges are working on the digital display and seem accurate. Oil temp analog gauge started working after I cleaned the connector. Analog temp gauge still at zero. I have a service manual set ordered and also an owners manual, they should be here next week. From what I see here the analog coolant gauge works off the sender on the passenger side head between # 6 and #8 and computer gets info from the one on front of the water pump, is that correct? Thanks guys for the input I greatly appreciate the help. Both coolant temp senders look to be original so I will simply replace both of them. Car has only been driven 2,000 since first of 2011. All fluids including coolant, transmission, oil and brake fluid were changed first of this year. At that time all brake hoses, all 4 calipers and pads and master cylinder were replaced. All 4 Bose speakers were repaired at that time also. Car has 48,000 miles on it and Carfax verifies that. Florida car so a couple of weather strips need replacing and there are a couple on stone nicks on the very front of the car. It has been converted to HID headlights and they REALLLLLY light up the road at night. Again Thanks for the help until my manuals arrive.

Last edited:
1992 coupe

I just noticed something strange about the interior. Right door panel is all red INCLUDNG THE ARM REST, left one is all red WITH BLACK ARM REST. I looked at several on the internet and all seem to be that way including tan interiors. What the heck was going on in 1992? Did engineers or designers get a bad batch of dope? I miss my 89 black, 6 speed convertible but I am starting to fall for this one.

From what I see here the analog coolant gauge works off the sender on the passenger side head between # 6 and #8 and computer gets info from the one on front of the water pump, is that correct?
Yes. The ECT on the water pump feeds the PCM. The ECT on the block operates the analog sensor only.
Pull the connector off of the sensor on the passenger side of the block, ground the wire and turn the key to on. If the sensor moves toward hot then the sensor or its grounding is bad. Keep in mind the sensor relies on ground through the block, so make sure it is not inhibited by any substance on the threads. If you have to buy one, make sure you get the correct ECT as it is different than the one on the water pump.

Yup, that's the way the interiors were. Looks strange at first but when you look at it on the inside with the doors closed it all makes sense. I kind of like those interiors.

Got power seats fixed today.

Got my power seats fixed today, simply took the seats out to reach the mechanism sprayed it down with WD40 and worked the switched a few times. Everything freed up and I then used aerosol white grease on the mechanism to lube it. Now they work slicker than greased owl snot. Remember I am from South Georgia and that is how we describe things here. Thanks again for the input, my service manual set will be here next week.

Surprising how many fixes are relatively easy.

92 vette

Also surprising how many simple fixes are a total pain in the butt. GM managed to put a lot of things that will require replacing in plain sight but impossible to get removed and replaced. For instance, the temperature gauge sender on the passenger side head, you can see it, you can touch it but it is a pain to replace. The LT1 does not have the room to replace things that my previous L98 cars had. Oh well I guess that is life in the fast lane. Thanks again guys for the replies.

replaced O2 sensor

I was getting an intermittent service engine light and idling a little rough. Scanner said bank 1 O2 sensor. I replaced it and now idle is great, fuel mileage has gone up and no codes. But as mentioned above the sensor was a small pain in the butt to replace, again I could see and touch it but it was a pain to get broken loose. I need to have a couple more joints in stalled in my arms to work on it. Again thanks for the replies.

I know what you mean. They actually make a special tool to remove O2 sensors. I did it the old fashion way with an
open end wrench but I could not get 1 sensor off when I put the Corsa on so I wound up just buy a new one.

Oil And Coolant temp gauges

New problem. Oil temp and coolant temp gauges working weird. ANALOG gauges on 1992 C4. Coolant temp gauge does not work at all and oil temp gauge works sometimes. When oil temp gauge is working it seems to be fairly accurate. Is there something common to these two gauges that could be causing the problem? Intermittent oil temp gauge tells me that it is connection related, but coolant temp gauge is out to lunch. I have a new sending unit for the passenger side on the head but have not installed it yet as it looks like a pain in the butt. I did disconnect to wire connector and sprayed it down with WD40 but no help there. Digital gauges all work good. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Mike

New problem. Oil temp and coolant temp gauges working weird. ANALOG gauges on 1992 C4. Coolant temp gauge does not work at all and oil temp gauge works sometimes. When oil temp gauge is working it seems to be fairly accurate. Is there something common to these two gauges that could be causing the problem? Intermittent oil temp gauge tells me that it is connection related, but coolant temp gauge is out to lunch. I have a new sending unit for the passenger side on the head but have not installed it yet as it looks like a pain in the butt. I did disconnect to wire connector and sprayed it down with WD40 but no help there. Digital gauges all work good. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Mike

First thing to do is get some spray electrical contact cleaner and remove all the WD40.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom