Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Just got my 92 LT1 Corvette today, need help for a couple of items.

First thing to do is get some spray electrical contact cleaner and remove all the WD40.
Yup... WD40 has many uses but it isn't electrically conductive and leaves a residue that collects dust...

-Mac

I have brake cleaner in the garage would that work?
Brake cleaner is usually brew of chemicals designed to remove dirt and brake fluid, often including acetone and/or chlorinates. I would not recommend using it on wires as, depending on the formulation, it might dissolve the plastic insulation on the wires.

The main ingredient in electrical contact cleaner is usually isopropyl alcohol which rinses away the residue and then evaporates. Far safer bet!

-Mac

Even our Wal-Mart carries the electrical cleaner. But if yours doesn't you can pick it up at a parts store.

Gauges

Another problem! I drove the car for the first time at night yesterday. Instrument panel lights went off but when I moved the dimmer switch for the instrument lights they came back on. Few miles later same thing. I am beginning to think that I am having connection problems with the instrument panel. I do not yet have the shop manuals, how hard is it too remove the instrument cluster and clean connections? By the way cleaned the connector to temp seeder and coolant analog gauge still does not work. I have a new sender and will try that next. Oil temperature analog gauge still works sometimes but not all; the time. Thanks again for the tips and replies.
Mike

instrument light dimmer problem.

Instrument lights go out when parking or headlights are turned on and the dimmer slider does not work, day time lighting work good. The photo cell thingy on the right hand switch panel DOES work when I put a flashlight on it the instrument lights come on and go back out when light is removed from it. I have replaced the headlight switch assembly, hoping for the easy fix, same symptoms wit NEW switch. All the lights work perfectly from the light switch, just instrument lights go out when lights are turned on. I dropped the panel under the dash and discovered a remote control alarm system had been installed some time in the past, I got it completely removed now and plan to replace the dimmer thingy under there next. I suppose if that does not work I will just jumper the photo cell and have bright instrument lights all the time. Got the oil temperature gauge working by cleaning around the sender and cleaning the connector, I will replace the temperature gauge sender on the right head next week and hope that fixes the coolant temperature gauge, if I short the wire to the head coolant temperature gauge goes up to max reading so I believe it is definitely the sender. The car is GREAT except for these few electrical gremlins and I got is for a decent price, just seems any car I purchase spends a month in the garage. I also have a totally dependable (today) 87 Fiero GT that spent two weeks in the garage a year ago after I purchased it. Got the gremlins out of it at that time and it has performed relentlessly since then. I am 72 and this under dash work is getting tougher to do, wish I were rich and could get NEW vehicles and hire out the work but that is life and I am still here to do it at a slower pace. Thanks for all the replies and help from you guys,
MIKE

knee bolster trim panel removal??

Help me out here please. I have the knee bolster (metal plate) removed and the trim panel (with the carpet on it) lowered by removing 4 screws. I can see and touch the dimmer driver up on the left od the steering column but can not get access to it because the trim panel is in the way. HOW THE HECK DO I COMPLETELY REMOVE THE TRIM PANEL?? I have removed the 4 screws, the courtesy light connector and the ALDL connector bracket but it simply will not come out. WHAT THE HECK AM I MISSING HERE. I have FSM but it is not very specific on this.

Pleas help me out here because I have to go to work tomorrow and would like to get finished today if possible. (today is Sunday)

NEVER MIND I FOUND THE NUT WAY UP FRONT, REMOVED IT AND THE PANEL IS NOW OUT OF THE CAR

MIKE

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom