Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

K&N Filter Systems

mad47

Corvette
1996 CE LT4
Hi to all
I am new 1996 CE LT4 owner, and new to this forum.
Enjoyed very much the posting on this forum and was wondering if anyone could tell me if K&N made a fuel injection free flow system for our LT4's or if they only made a replacement filter element ?
Any other suggestions for minor performance improvements would be appreciated. I do want to keep the car as close to original as possible.
Thanks in advance

Welcome to the boards.............if you look in the Mid-America, Eckler's, or Corvette Central.............everything your heart (not pocketbook) desires is there for your dining (driving) pleasure.......open air box..k&n filters...mass air flows (hi-po), and free flow throttle body ducts.......just to name a few...... :w :CAC :SANTA :SANTA :SANTA :SANTA :SANTA after all it IS Christmas.........enjoy

http://www.madvet.com/

http://www.ecklers.com/

http://www.corvettecentral.com/

Thanks for the quick response, and the excellant suggestion concerning Christmas. After all, if you can't give to yourself, who else

Exactly!:beer :beer

I have the 3 filter flow system---I can feel the difference--WOW!
Can.t give the exact HP. since I put it on--they say 20hp+

Yellow96 said:
I have the 3 filter flow system---I can feel the difference--WOW!
Can.t give the exact HP. since I put it on--they say 20hp+

Can you give me the specific make, model, pricing, etc. of this system. Is this the system that looks like three tubes coming from the intake with round K&N filters on each tube. Thanks:grinsanta

Mad47--K&N filters

Yes, they are the three round filters--several cat. carry them-compare pricing---easy to install:w

On a side note, I doubt the three filter setup gives any more power than a standard K&N with an open lid (which may be cheaper)

Vettelt193 said:
On a side note, I doubt the three filter setup gives any more power than a standard K&N with an open lid (which may be cheaper)

The open air lid may be cheaper, but its not nearly as cool looking. :) From what I've seen they both claim to add about 20 hp.

Jason

There are two basic types of air filter assemblies for later C4s: 1) the type that takes air from under the hood and ahead of the cooling stack, which are the OE system and some aftermarket systems and 2) the type that takes air from the cooling air intake, which are a few aftermarket systems that claim to produce a "ram air" effet at high speed.

Let's set the ram air issue aside for a minute.

Several years ago I tested a 500hp ZR-1 on a DynoJet chassis dyno with 1) a stock air filter base, a K&N replacement filter element and a DRM "open-element" top and 2) no air filter assembly at all, ie: the only part attached to the throttle body was the air duct that connects the TB to the air filter.

The engine output was the same in both tests.

This means the stock type air filter base, with a K&N and a open element top presents no restriction to air flow.

Since no air filter assembly is going to increase air flow over that of no filter at all, it follows that none of the air filter assemblies on the market for C4s has any better air flow than the stock 90-96 system.

As for the K&N filter element for the 90-96 OE air filter housing: dyno tests others have run... Lingenfelter Performance Engineering for one...showed that changing from a clean, stock paper filter to the K&N replacement filter offers no performance advantage. The reason for this is the stock paper filter is so big, it will support air flow required by an engine of up to 500 hp with no restriction. Now, K&N's do have an economic advantage over a long period of time in service because they can be cleaned and reused whereas stock paper filters are discarded.

Lastly, the ram air effect: there are a few C4 air filter assemblies that mount "upside down" and take air from a hole the user cuts in the upper duct covering the cooling stack. It is said that, at high speed, say above 80 mph, there is a slight high pressure area formed ahead of the radiator. If this theory is correct, there may be a slight ram air effect to the intake air flow. Again, this is all theory and I've never seen any dyno test data or intake system pressure measurements to support it. Nevertheless, if there is a slight ram air effect at very high speed, engine power might increase slightly because of it.

Bottom line, the best value in air filters for a 96 is a K&N in the stock air filter base with an open-element top.

So that would be:

Part# 28790

1990-96 Performance Modified Air Filter Lid

$59.99 EA.

on the Eckler's site?

Is it smog legal?

And did you get any dyno information on the totally stock setup versus the open lid? I'm wondering if it actually makes a noticable difference... or if it's just pschological.

- Skant

yes it is smog legal, yes it works well... take off your lid now, and you will see it's opening is actually much much smaller than the size of the filter.

You can also cut off the top of your filter lid (only leaving a frame) if you don't care about the stock one... this is what most people do, since it is free, compared to 60 bucks... you may also want to check ebay

Though I have the the three filter sytem-----thanks for the info.--clears up some questionable facts out there.:SANTA

The only think I disagree with Hib's reply is the K&N Vs. Stock filters.... One of the Corvette mags (either Vette or Corvette Fever) did an article where they tested a stock filter, K&N, and no filter at all... The K&N had more power than both the stock and no filter. The test certainly seemed unbiased by the way it was written. I have also seen other places that have done independent testing that show K&N producing more power than no filter, and more than paper filters... The theory is K&N straightens the air flow

Hib Halverson said:
... there may be a slight ram air effect to the intake air flow (and) ... engine power might increase slightly because of it.

I have always agreed that there is not much in the way of horsepower to be found in a "ram air" effect with those type of inlets, but there is somewhat of an advantage with the cooler air, is there not? Surely there must be some advantage to grabbing the air from outside the confines of the overheated engine compartment, although there may be not much in the way of measureable horsepower.

_ken :w

Well guys, thanks very much for all the great input to my question on K& N filters.

Although I found the technical discussion fascinating, in the end it was lt4 gs's recommendation that I get myself a christmas present, VetteLt193 excellant reference to the Holiday sale price at SLP, and finally Jason's observation that the three filter set up is just too cool that finally decided the issue.
So I now have one cool looking three filter set up on order from SLP, set to arrive before Christmas.

Hope all of you also enjoy a little extra LT4 Christmas surprise !:SANTA

Now it's made me order an open air box and a K&N filter. Bad me. Stop that.

How much horsepower do you suppose those two would really add over the stock setup anyway? I doubt it's the 20+ claimed in the ads. But maybe it's true?

- Skant

Skant said:
Now it's made me order an open air box and a K&N filter. Bad me. Stop that.

How much horsepower do you suppose those two would really add over the stock setup anyway? I doubt it's the 20+ claimed in the ads. But maybe it's true?

- Skant

No, the air filter lid and K&N can't add 20 HP. My guess is that it'd be somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 at the max.

But this is one of my theories:

No matter if you have one of the 3 K&N filter setups (isn't it called "the claw"?) or if you have an open lid with K&N, does it really matter how much air those can draw because you still have the restriction in the size of the MAF? Of course, the TB can be upgraded to a larger size, but what about the MAF?

LT4's do have a MAF... it is one of those items I overlook frequently, because my '93 did not have one:) My MAF is aftermarket, (no screens, and larger) so it isn't an issue with my 'Vette, but, it could be a worthwhile mod for others... I honestly think a stock MAF with the screens removed is plenty of flow

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom