Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Keep or Unload?!?!?!

ladams

Corvette
1981 White
I was just fooling around with the heating system on my '81 and in the process found that both #1 body mounts are completely rusted out at the body part. The frame still seems ok as far as I can see, and all of the other common areas seem ok, but who knows what underneath. Assuming that I still have 6/8 good mounts do you think I should try to unload this car now or keep her? I have $14,000 tied up in it right now and I can't afford to get stuck with an un-sellable car (just in case)!

Seems to me if both #1s are rusted, you would find rust in other places. Post some pix of what you've found.

:)

Here is the drivers side #1 Mount. Is this something that can be repaired or is it an extremely expensive job?

Looks like someone's been in there before trying to save it with patch straps and pop-rivets. The sills (foundation of the birdcage) are gone, and that's an EXTREMELY expensive and time-consuming repair. :eyerole

Here is the drivers side #1 Mount. Is this something that can be repaired or is it an extremely expensive job?

I agree with JohnZ.

However, I would also say that it is your car and you may be able to stop further damage. Get a vacuum and a wire brush and brush out the rusted and rotted metal flakes. Then, get some POR-15 and paint over it. It isn't going to be worth replacing the bird cage- but you may be able to get it where you stop (or slow down) further damage. It isn't NCRS correct- and it sure isn't the "best" repair for rust like that, but it might be the best repair for the money and time.

You'll need to make sure it is parked in a garage at night. No more storing it outside. Limit exposure to water to washes only- avoid sitting in rain.

I wouldn't sell it- you'll have a hard time getting your money out of it. I'd drive it until the wheels fell off of it and ENJOY every minute of it.

You have a driver. Enjoy it.

This will only get worse it will start to effect the door opening and closing " door sag." as the hinge pillar is was welded to the rocker channel. I have done my 73 but would never do another.
If you are capable of going the work yourself you can save some money. If you can't have a fat check book. Pluss you can by 81's all day everyday.

You're between a rock and a hard place.

You'll never get $14k out of it, especially when you tell perspective buyers about the rust.

Best bet would be to keep it until either
a) you can afford to fix it
b) the price of 81's goes up

Good Luck!

You'll never get $14k out of it, especially when you tell perspective buyers about the rust.
Possibly...not likely, but possibly. It depends what that $14K investment is. What have you done to the car thus far? You can still get a decent 1980 for $14K or less. (Yes, I said 1980, not '81. Scrap the computer controls... :D)

Or, depending what your $14K consists of, maybe you should consider taking out what you have, getting rid of your car "as is", and then putting that remaining money back into another one with a better frame. And then putting that $14K into the replacement. (Assuming your $14K is replaceable upgrades).

Yeah, it's a lot of work and assache, but you need to consider the end result. Where do you want to be with your car in 5-10 years?

All this talk about rust have me worried, where exactly on my 76 would I look for rust like this? Not sure where the body mounts are and what is the bird cage? Hate to sound so dumb but would hate to have the car rust out when I could have prevented it.

You'd look up under the car, just above the main frame rail, roughly from the front to the rear of the bottom of the door, to see the entire length of the steel sill. The "birdcage" is the steel skeleton that supports the body; you can't see it, because the outer body panels are bonded to it and cover it - they have to come off to get to it for repairs (which is why birdcage repairs are such a nightmare). The sills are the long horizontal members at the bottom of the diagram below.

:beer

Possibly...not likely, but possibly. It depends what that $14K investment is. What have you done to the car thus far? You can still get a decent 1980 for $14K or less. (Yes, I said 1980, not '81. Scrap the computer controls... :D)

Or, depending what your $14K consists of, maybe you should consider taking out what you have, getting rid of your car "as is", and then putting that remaining money back into another one with a better frame. And then putting that $14K into the replacement. (Assuming your $14K is replaceable upgrades).

Yeah, it's a lot of work and assache, but you need to consider the end result. Where do you want to be with your car in 5-10 years?

When I say I have $14000 into the car I am referring to the price I paid as well as the parts. All I have really done is tires, brakes, shocks, stereo, centre caps, about $2000 roughly.
I am going back and forth like crazy about whether to sell or not. It is literally my dream car but I don't want to be foolish and spend my money on a losing battle. On one hand I can probably halt the damage now and keep it from getting worse and get quite a few years out of her, but on the other hand I hate the thought of the whole losing battle thing.

The first thing to do is truely find out just how bad it is. Remove the mounting bolt and rubber ; vacuum out the lose rust. Then use a wire brush on a drill and clean it up. That the only way to be sure bad it is and how far it goes.

To kill the rust that is there go to a good Paint or Hardware store and get some "OSPHO". This is a industrial rust stopper. It is a strong acid so follow direction. It takes about 3 days at 70 degrees to totally dry. trust me it works.

Once all the rust is removed or killed either ourself or a good metal shop can make an insert to go back in area, by either bolting or better welded in. Then a new mount and bolt and it should last another20-30 year.

As to is it worth it or not, THAT's up to you. But if the rest of the car is good then I'd fix it.

Gary

The first thing to do is truely find out just how bad it is. Remove the mounting bolt and rubber ; vacuum out the lose rust. Then use a wire brush on a drill and clean it up. That the only way to be sure bad it is and how far it goes.

To kill the rust that is there go to a good Paint or Hardware store and get some "OSPHO". This is a industrial rust stopper. It is a strong acid so follow direction. It takes about 3 days at 70 degrees to totally dry. trust me it works.

Once all the rust is removed or killed either ourself or a good metal shop can make an insert to go back in area, by either bolting or better welded in. Then a new mount and bolt and it should last another20-30 year.

As to is it worth it or not, THAT's up to you. But if the rest of the car is good then I'd fix it.

Gary

I have since removed the drivers side rocker moulding and found good and bad... The good thing so far is that the frame seems to be rock solid everywhere so far, just as I always thought. The bad is that the door sill seems to be pretty bad all along. So what I think I should do is hunker down, remove the seats/carpet and stuff and really have a good look at what damage I have. From there I should be able to repair that stuff myself except for the body mount bracket, like you say. I think that if it is not too extensive I will keep "my dream car". Thanks for your advice, I feel a bit more encouraged now.

Well, I am going to chalk it up as an expensive and enjoyable lesson learned and put her up for sale. I have learned an awful lot and will definately know better next time.;shrug

Well, I am going to chalk it up as an expensive and enjoyable lesson learned and put her up for sale. I have learned an awful lot and will definately know better next time.;shrug
As much as this car was 'your dream car', you'd be surprised how many out there you'll find that also will match your criteria. I can't say entirely 100% in Canada, but in the States, 1976 - 1980 are pretty easy to come by for a reasonable price. You'll have another one soon! (If you are interested, I know of a "Rare 81" for sale...or it was for sale not too long ago!) :D

I would like to get a southern car with really good bones next time but I have no idea how you would go about bringing it to Canada and what costs would be associated with it. I would imagine they would be quite high and out of my budget. For now I may consider getting a C4 even though they can't compare with the looks of a shark! I will have to take a breather for a while though.

I would like to get a southern car with really good bones next time but I have no idea how you would go about bringing it to Canada and what costs would be associated with it. I would imagine they would be quite high and out of my budget. For now I may consider getting a C4 even though they can't compare with the looks of a shark! I will have to take a breather for a while though.

I don't want to say anything bad about Corvettes, but I really don't care that much for the C4's. I'd stay with a C3 myself; but I've owned 4 C3 and 3 of them were 1978's. They can be found and reasonable prices all the time. You just have to watch for the rust prombles.

As to your other question about getting a US car into Canada; I purchased 1 from Canada and had it shipped to the US. It was held up in Customs for over 30 days and had to have a US speedo with MPH installed before it was allowed across. If you do it have the owner drive it across to you with no word about selling it, then deal with Customs. Better yet find a good Broker and let them deal with the crossing headaches, it is worth it.

In a Last word; I've had my present '78 for over 4 years now and just got it paint a couple weeks ago. I just got tried of looking at it in primer. I'm still things to do but I decided that the big stuff was done and I just wanted to drive it for awhile. Maybe next year I'll fixing thing again, but for now I'm going to have some fun.:beer

Good Luck on what ever you decide and we'll all be here to help if you need it.

Gary
Save the Wave

I COULDN'T BRING MYSELF TO SELL!!!

I know the logical thing to do would be to sell, but I just can't bring myself to do that. I wanted a corvette for as long as I can remember and now I have one! I am going to enjoy it for a while and then maybe tackle the problem in a couple of years. I know I can get another vette, but it won't be MY vette and I hate the thought of another C3 dissappearing. I also know that I won't recover the money I will spend, but that only applies if I sell!haha
Oh well, if I don't spend it here I will spend it on something else I don't need.
:beer

I take it that your car was a Canadian car and probably has seen some nasty salty roads. I know where you are coming from being a fellow Ontarian just south of you near Hamilton in Pt. Dover. I spent about 6 months looking and finally found a great 81 Vette in Texas near Dallas. The car had always been in Texas and there is not a spec of rust on it. Very solid. the car will never see salt as she goes away in Oct and comes out in March-April. The US southern cars are very good and I would certainly recommend going there if you purchase another. Plus there is a good selection. take care and good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom