Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Key Fob Problems

Baldie88

Corvette
2016 triple black vert.
I have a 2016 and run into my first problem. Suddenly the remote key fobs are not being recognized. Car will start if I put the fob into the pocket on the steering column. All other functions seem to work (door locks, etc.) Everything worked fine 2 days ago. I have the problem with both remotes.

The only thing I've done is to remove the plenum and rail covers to put on new custom ones. I did have to disconnect one of the connectors on the plenum to pull it off but that's the only electrical thing I touched. I did not disconnect the battery when I did this. I don't see how this affected the key fobs.

I'm suspicious since both fobs did it at the same time. I do get the ding, ding, ding when I open the door so it seems to me that it is recognizing the fob, just won't start the car.

Only idea is to replace the fob batteries but I think they should last longer than 2 years. Would disconnecting the battery do anything? Currently on a battery tender since I won't drive it much during the winter.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Ron
"Baldie88"

Last edited:
Mystery solved. Replaced batteries and car starts fine now. Interesting that they both died on the same day and I did not get a weak battery indication. I never had to replace a battery after two years. I guess I'll have to put the fobs on a battery tender also.:eyerole

If you are using both fobs about the same amount of time, both should probably go dead about the same time.
With the key fobs, replacing the batteries is the first thing I do before trying to see if something else is wrong.
With my Vette and Caddys, I usually notice that the cars do not respond to the fob when I try to open the door but do respond if I press the 'unlock' button. That's a dead giveaway, to me, that it's time to replace the battery.

Well had same thing here roughly two years. Not being recognized so pull the batteries and ran a voltage check. Never used the one remote and voltage was fine in both. Tried programming with no luck and brought to dealer. They said they replaced batteries and reprogrammed. Oh well $100+ later

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom