Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

keyless remote for 91

I didn't know 91's had an alarm. Regardless, your best bet would be to disable the factory system and go aftermarket... Install an alarm w/ keyless entry.

Installation of a keyless entry only system (no alarm) will not cause any change in how the factory alarm operates.

You need to understand the following.

To set the factory alarm you open one of the doors and use the power door lock button to lock the doors. Or you could use the key FOB to lock the doors. When you shut the door, the factory alarm will be turned on.

If you just shut the doors and use the key FOB to lock the doors, the alarm won't be set.

To disarm the system, you can manually insert the key and turn in it in the proper direction which sends a ground signal to the CCM and the alarm is turned off.

If you want to disarm the system and use the key FOB, not only does the doors have to be unlocked, the keyless entry needs to send a negative going pulse to the CCM to simulate the manual opening of the door using the door key.

The VKE 1000 kit which was at one time sold by GM dealers seems to be a popular keyless entry kit.

Sells for around $60.00 by third party companies. It has relays built into the control box where some kits require external relays.

http://www.batee.com/corvette/keylessentry/index.shtml

I dont think it would be a good idea so install a keyless entry, I know that gordon killebrew says to stay away from installing them on 90-96's.

When I got my 92 the previous owner installed a keyless entry with a hatch release, when I got the car the power door locks had stopped working but the weird thing is when trying to lock/unlock the doors using the power locks or the key fob the security light would stop/start flashing so you know they have power but the lock still would not lock/unlock, at least the remote hatch release works.

Any competent installer can install an aftermarket keyless so that your alarm will function correctly with it. An incompetent/lazy install would leave you needing to do the "open door then lock" dance described above.

It's trivial on a 94-96, since all the wiring is right there in the console (at the pke module and the CCM). Shouldn't be much harder on an earlier car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom