Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Kick panel speakers

S

schoeassoc

Can speakers fit in both kick panels of a 1979 ? If so what size? I'm looking to replace stereo with a modern day radio/cd player and all front, rear and hopefully kick panel speakers. I hate to cut center gauge console but the replacement radios aren't very powerful. Anyone with any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks Bill

68 and 69 Corvettes used speakers in the kick panels, not under the dash. The original speakers were long and skinny, about 4 x 10 inches as I recall. They're still available through most of the catalogs. Not familiar with your year kick panels, but MAYBE they could be modified, or you may be able to adapt 68-69 style kick panels. Chuck

4x6

I put 4 x 6 in the kick panels, went with boston three ways, from local stereo shop, sound good with the rear speaker box on a new stereo and 6 disc cd player.

wamp

Speakers

I wanted a new system also, but I hated those speakers in the dash (I didn't like having one speaker right at my face) so I knew I had to go down.
I put in a set of 4" dia. speakers in the kick panels of my 81.
Just cut a hole and install them, don't be shy.
As for rear speakers, I also built a box for the back with cut outs for the wheel wells, carpeted it after adding 2: 6x9's, and a set of tweeters. Looks factory installed.
All this and I knew it was time for a new reciever, and like you I didn't want to cut the console. First I went with a cassette player that had knobs. It was a waste of money. A year later I went out and got a CD player/Reciever. Now I have the sound I wanted.
Cut the console and get yourself a good system, you won't be sorry.
Ya gotta have tunes.:_rock

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom