Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L-48 Rebuild

Jake1798

Corvette
1976 Stingray 350 4Spd
Okay, I made a post on here a few months back about possibly rebuilding the 350 in my '76 Vette. At the time I was indecisive about whether or not I really wanted to rebuild the engine. But now it turns out that I have coolant leaking into my heads (bare in mind that this engine had a rebuild 4 years ago, at the local NAPA, and only has MAYBE 15,000 miles on it since) so I decided to do another rebuild. From what I understand it wasn't a complete rebuild at NAPA..ie pistons and such were not replaced. I believe they referred to it as a "re-ring" job. I have already began the process of removing the engine so there's no turning back for me at this point.

My questioning comes with the parts to use. It is a daily driver but something like 300HP would still be nice. Can I achieve that kind of power without going the aluminum head route? I'm not too keen on spending $1600 (keep in mind we're talking Canadian dollars) on a pair of aluminum heads. Aside from that I was thinking of going the Edelbrock route..performer series stuff as far as the cam, intake, carb and all of that go.

Pick up a nice set of Dart Iron Eagle heads....they come complete at about $800 American dollars.....They're nice heads for the dollar. I have a set on my 350 and am running 10.32:1 compression with 420hp and 440lbs torque...

Why not build it to LT-1 specs 350/350. It is very drivable, can be built at affordable cost, and there is published data for tune ups. Just my 2 cents!

waterboy, I will look into those heads for sure. twamd, what kind of parts are involved in building to LT-1 specs? New crankshaft or anything?

What you can do is get the technical specs for a 70 LT-1 from the internet or a book from boarders. I am sure it will be a complete changing of crank, rods, and any part that handle the increased forces. MOST of these parts can come from a normal auto recycler. I would compile a list of required parts, and go shopping! Pull your engine and pickle it! That way you have the original intact for a later date. When it comes time to do my L-82, that is what I will do. I really like the fact of having published tune up data, and performance. I would not want to have to take my car to a mechanic that does not have any refrence numbers. I also know that it will fit, and have durability. We write enough checks for these beasts! If you want, I would help you find the stuff.

Waterboy1976, I too am considering the Dart Iron Eagles. What cam and carb are you using to get to 420HP?

64cc iron eagles (or 64cc world sportsman2) heads, edelbrock performer P/N 2101 intake, speedpro P/N H100CP flattop 2VR pistons, speedpro P/N cs1062R hyd flat tap cam (220*/231* .468"/.480") will put you right at 9.7 - 9.8:1 CR and will make a good 350+ hp and motor will be very reliable ... using your freshened carb & distributor.

Smaller "fastburn" combustion chambers with flattops are current technology that provides better flamefront. LT1 does not have modern fastburn chambers & uses domed "popup" pistons ... popups interfere w/ flamefront ... they worked real well but not as well as fastburns & flattops.
JACK:gap

Jack, Thanks for your advice. It's where I want to be for the time being.

problemenko said:
Waterboy1976, I too am considering the Dart Iron Eagles. What cam and carb are you using to get to 420HP?

edelbrock rpm air gap
mighty demon 650 carb
edelbrock 7102 cam......234/244 dur @ .50 488/510 lift (corrected lift with 1.6 rollers is .544 intake side)
1.6 comp cam roller rockers
dart 180cc runners 64 cc chambers shaved .010
10.32/1 comp
dynoed at 419 hp and 437 lbs toprque

now that cam is very lumpy....it loves 4 to 500 rpm range, my car is a 4 speed manual...if you have an automatic youll want to go to a smaller cam...ie: comps 268x cam is a good one...using a mighty demon carb instead because of my duration......is over .240.......good luck

Many thanks! I'll order up some parts and let you gents know how it goes!

Here is the link to my engine build. It is a lot of reading but it is also very similar to rebuilding an L48 for mild sttreet performance on a budget. All of the proceedures, specs and costs are in the thread. Like you, I didn't want to spend a lot on new heads so mine are ported 76cc stockers. I realize the benefits of the fast burn chamber and many in the aftermarket have went to that design, including Edelbrock, but it wasn't in the budget. Mine is now a flat top hyper piston 9.3:1 with a GM Performance Parts cam (by Crane) and I'd guess it to be an honest 300-325 horse engine.

Here is the link-----------X

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom