Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! L 88 Motor

;shrug;shrug
I am a little concerned about the amount of dust on the Olds though. Cat tracks too? :nono

Maybe you should keep it at my place. :D

Tom

Al wants the Olds in the worst way Tom, he had a 57 convertible. One of his first complete upholstry jobs. The interior in the {dusty one} is near perfect, not worn or rips or tears. Car should get a paint job though as it has a few nicks and scratches. but still a great 5 footer and good enough to win a few lawn shoes ....:cool

Do you have a place tokeep it?

I could aways park the wife's Equinox outside. Then it would be easier to talk her ito a parking lift. :L

You asked for opinions from those who have, so here goes: I drive my '69 L88 around town, somewhat infrequently, but do drive it. It's first design, closed chamber 12.5:1. I use half race gas and half Prem. pump and don't have any issues. With the current way the US oil companies are screwing our brains out at the pump it doesn't seem so rough to mix the race gas these days, although realistically I probably only use a tank a year.

L 88 motor

Well its been some time now the engine has been in the car for 2 years, rebuilt with 10.5 compression and roller rockers pushing 500+ hp and drives really easy on the street. I have over 2k on the motor using Mobil 1 but it looks like i use 1/2 qt every 100-200 miles,I'm not babying the engine and i'm not sure if that is not unusal for this kind of motor? I have a question about the rear universals what kind (part no.)should they be and some say there is no difference in the dia.of the half shafts only the diff. are different. I'm looking for a 1968 to 1972 big block hood even an L88. I'm building my wife's car to be a big block, right now it's got a passenger 350 2 bolt and i have a 1972 454 that i want to swap out i can use all the info and helph on this project. Her car needs a complete interior (it had leather seats and wood trimed door panels) but in the end it's going to be a driver. Thanks Ralph

Ralph, first off thanks for the update on your cool car. Secondly I hope one of the guys check in here soon to answer your questions as I can't help you. Just wanted to say I think that you've done a neat job on the 67.

I have a question about the rear universals what kind (part no.)should they be and some say there is no difference in the dia.of the half shafts only the diff. are different.

The half-shaft U-joints are Spicer #5-799X (no zerk fittings); same ones were used on all '63-'82 Corvettes. All Corvettes used 2-1/2" diameter half-shafts until the later 70's, when they changed to 3", and when they ran out of the 2-1/2" shafts, the 3" shafts became Service for all '63-'82 Corvettes. The 2-1/2" shafts were identical for small-blocks and big-blocks, except the big-block shafts were shot-peened (which is why they had a daub of green paint on them so they could identify them in the plant).

:beer

rear suspension

thanks i was under the impression that the universals were different.That one was a U BOLT W/2 NUTS AND THE bb USED A different square type of connection to the wheel and ham side.What do i have to do to get the suspension to L88 spec. (F41 i think) and can that be bought now using specality venders?thanks for all the imput and advise.:upthumbs P.S. I'm looking for a BB hood for my wifes 72 vette and red line tires for my 67 vette any advise is welcomed.

thanks i was under the impression that the universals were different.That one was a U BOLT W/2 NUTS AND THE bb USED A different square type of connection to the wheel and ham side.What do i have to do to get the suspension to L88 spec. (F41 i think) and can that be bought now using specality venders?thanks for all the imput and advise.:upthumbs P.S. I'm looking for a BB hood for my wifes 72 vette and red line tires for my 67 vette any advise is welcomed.

The U-joint connection to the diff yokes WAS different on BB's (cap and bolts vs. U-bolt and nuts), but both used the same U-joints. L-88's had F-41 - vendors like Vette Brakes have similar parts. If you want GOOD redline radial tires, talk to Diamond Back (www.dbtires.com).

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom