Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L79 internal components -- 65 vette 327/350hp

brumbach

Corvette
1965 convertible
Is it possible to buy new crankshaft, camshaft, pistons, rods, etc., for the L79 engine? If so, what mfg and parts do you recommend? I've got the correct bare block and ready to begin the purchase of the internal parts to build a short block. I know of the remanufactured parts and may go that way if the cost of new parts are too high. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cranks are a machine-shop or junkyard item (virtually all small-journal 327 cranks are forged), '67-up small-journal rods are plentiful at machine shops (don't use '66 and earlier rods - they're weak), Speed-Pro/Federal-Mogul has pistons and bearings, and Speed-Pro/Federal-Mogul and Crane have the cam. Also lots of aftermarket sources for better rods (Crower, Howard Cams, and others); I'd spend some extra money on really good rods and have a bulletproof bottom end.
:beer

Thanks for the assistance. Would you happen to know if the 3814660 block uses the small journal crankshaft? I'm building a correct engine to replace the one currently in my 65 vette. Current engine is a 381660. It would be nice to pull the crank if it could be used in the new engine.

Bill

JohnZ said:
Cranks are a machine-shop or junkyard item (virtually all small-journal 327 cranks are forged), '67-up small-journal rods are plentiful at machine shops (don't use '66 and earlier rods - they're weak), Speed-Pro/Federal-Mogul has pistons and bearings, and Speed-Pro/Federal-Mogul and Crane have the cam. Also lots of aftermarket sources for better rods (Crower, Howard Cams, and others); I'd spend some extra money on really good rods and have a bulletproof bottom end.

brumbach said:
Thanks for the assistance. Would you happen to know if the 3814660 block uses the small journal crankshaft? I'm building a correct engine to replace the one currently in my 65 vette. Current engine is a 381660. It would be nice to pull the crank if it could be used in the new engine.

Bill

The 660 is a '68 block. Big journal. You could work around it though and use the large journal 327 crank or the 350 crank and use the 350 rods which are a little heavier than the 327 small journal.

Whichever crank you choose, don't forget to drill the snout for the bolt to hold the balancer on if it's not already drilled. The original SHP cranks were hardened. They were identified by a swatch of blue/green paint.

3814660 is a large-journal 327 block. Please re-check the casting number on your current block - I don't find any record of a 381660 block (typo for 3814660?).

JohnZ said:
3814660 is a large-journal 327 block. Please re-check the casting number on your current block - I don't find any record of a 381660 block (typo for 3814660?).
Typo for sure. dropped the "4". Thanks

I've got a correct block w/o crank and a 660 block w/crank. Just wondered if the 660 crank would work with the correct block. According to your comment it will not. Thanks -- Bill
Mike McKown said:
The 660 is a '68 block. Big journal. You could work around it though and use the large journal 327 crank or the 350 crank and use the 350 rods which are a little heavier than the 327 small journal.

Whichever crank you choose, don't forget to drill the snout for the bolt to hold the balancer on if it's not already drilled. The original SHP cranks were hardened. They were identified by a swatch of blue/green paint.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom