Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L88 Coming Back?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
I'm sitting here watching the Mecum Auto Auction on the Velocity channel, and one of the commentators said he's heard some rumblings about the L88 moniker coming back.

What do you think?

Will we see a C7 L88 in the near future?

I'm sitting here watching the Mecum Auto Auction on the Velocity channel, and one of the commentators said he's heard some rumblings about the L88 moniker coming back.

What do you think?

Will we see a C7 L88 in the near future?

I'm thinking that it would be quite possible, Chevrolet is diving in with both feet on resurrecting many of the biggest monikers from the past ie. Stingray, LT1, Z28, ZL1 etc...

I was watching that too and heard them talking. I guess if they do, it wouldn't surprise me. Just not sure how it would play into the plan.

New Old

Chevy should make a twin-turbo 396, take the LS7 and ADD metal, bolt on turbos and rip off like 700 hp! YEAH!:happyanim:

I don't know....there are Chevy engines that have a lot of meaning but the L88 is legendary in its status. A 67 L88 Corvette driven by Dick Guldstrand was leading Le Manns in 67 by 2 1/2 laps in the 13th hour when it broke a wrist pin and had to retire....on his way back to the pits it is told that 200,000 Frenchmen stood and gave Guldstrand an ovation for the low buck L88 whipping of some of the worlds best cars back in those days............If they do use it.....it had better be special...

Yes this Vette would have to be very special indeed to wear the L-88 badge, but I must say I'm on the fence about bringing it back.

Regular production option

I wouldn't doubt that GM uses the L-88 designation in future builds as they have resurrected just about every other RPO designation. But, I'm afraid with the upcoming regulations and BS placed by the government for gas mileage and emissions, it won't be what we envision as an L-88 (my brother and I had one in a 55 Chevy back in 1968...all I can say is, AWESOME engine). The new one probably will be some forced induction type (supercharged/turbo) engine, the LS7 would have to be really beefed up to handle boost under factory warranty or more likely, take a LS3 and stroke it to 427 cu in. I mean, if it isn't a 427, why even bother calling it an L-88?

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom