Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L98: Long or short oil filter?

A

AIRBUS

My 90 had a long filter when I bought it in July. When I ordered a new filter, howeverl, the short one arrived. Any ideas as to which is correct/better?

If you got the AC filter it is now shorter with a diff. number. If you get one for a pickup or truck they are longer but those extend far enough that it made me nervous about hitting it on something. It doesn't extend past the cat but is real close to the same level. If something would happen to bounce under the car on the road I am a little afraid it could get damaged.

Glenn
:w

USE A SHORT FILTER! Unless you are luckier than I. I had a K&N long filter on. Thought it would do a better job. I pulled in to go on a lift one day and it hit! Didn't just break the filter off or bust it. I broke the whole damn adapter! Cost me $50 for the adapter, and the time, plus the $40 worth of new Mobil1 I had in there :mad

The AC Delco 454 (shorter filter) is the one to use. No clearance problems, and it works just fine!! Don't give this a moment's worry or second thought.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Houston, Texas

G Winter said:
If you got the AC filter it is now shorter with a diff. number. If you get one for a pickup or truck they are longer but those extend far enough that it made me nervous about hitting it on something. It doesn't extend past the cat but is real close to the same level. If something would happen to bounce under the car on the road I am a little afraid it could get damaged.

Glenn
:w

That's the same thing that happened with the Mobil 1 filter. I ended up going with the K&N filter because that 1" hex made it so easy. :L

But it looks like I'll use the 454 now since the longer filter may have clearance issues. I haven't had a problem so far but it's not something I want to take a chance on.

I just cant seem how the original AC filter or the K & N would hit on anything, it is way tucked up in there. For one, it would have to rip the exhaust off, and would have to get past the oil pan as well.

vetteboy86 said:
I just cant seem how the original AC filter or the K & N would hit on anything, it is way tucked up in there. For one, it would have to rip the exhaust off, and would have to get past the oil pan as well.

Yup that is the first thing that came to my mind, and especially for us vert guys who have that xbrace. I do not know how you could hit anything to tear that filter off. I have had no problems with mine at all.

vetteboy86 said:

Ditto. My thoughts exactly.
Terry

vetteboy86 said:

True... I use the Mobil 1 M1-302 (long filter) whenever I can on services (I ask first). No problems using it at all.

I use P35L synthetic filters from GM. They are the long one.

If you have the KC4 oil cooler you need to use the shorter filter. If the filter is lower than the oilpan you can possibly hit something like a curb or speedbump and tear it open. The KC4 is a oil to engine coolant cooler and has an adapter that lower the filter.

I'm using a AC Delco PF1218 (used on a wide variety of Chevy trucks with both gas and diesel motors in a variety of displacements. It's even used on Hummers with gas and diesel motors!) on my 87 with the KC4 oil cooler and it's only about an inch longer than the old PF25. It does not stick down below the oil pan at all. It's a bit wider than the PF25 but i use a strap-type oil filter wrench to remove mine with no problems.

This particular filter has an anti-drainback valve but does not hurt anything given the mounting orentation on the Vettes

This filter holds almost 3/4 quart so there is just a bit more oil to the oil change.

c4cruiser said:
I'm using a AC Delco PF1218 (used on a wide variety of Chevy trucks with both gas and diesel motors in a variety of displacements. It's even used on Hummers with gas and diesel motors!) on my 87 with the KC4 oil cooler and it's only about an inch longer than the old PF25. It does not stick down below the oil pan at all. It's a bit wider than the PF25 but i use a strap-type oil filter wrench to remove mine with no problems.

This particular filter has an anti-drainback valve but does not hurt anything given the mounting orentation on the Vettes

This filter holds almost 3/4 quart so there is just a bit more oil to the oil change.

Good tip "c4cruiser" as long as its not longer that the pan it will work. I have put the P/N in my files.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom