Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Larry....got any install photos of the Barry Grant 6 shooter yet?

SWEET!!!!

0000000107-prod.jpg

Well this is the one I am getting

0000000102-prod.jpg

The one with the crossed flags (matches my valve covers) is too short,So I have to use this one instead, The air filter is still too high but I am hoping to find a short one some where

I cant waqit to put it on and be finished with this little project.

Speedway Motors shows a 15 inch oval air cleaner element that's only 2 inches high. How long is your air cleaner?

92511642 15"X2" FILTER ELEMENT
EA $7.95

Tom

Speedway Motors shows a 15 inch oval air cleaner element that's only 2 inches high. How long is your air cleaner?

92511642 15"X2" FILTER ELEMENT
EA $7.95

Tom

Tom the one I am getting is 17 1/2" I need 17. I should have it on Friday.I am still going to have some clearance problems with it. I really need an 1 1/2" air cleaner element.

You know when I was building my hood I was so positive the tri angle air cleaner was what I wanted, I sized that hood for that air cleaner. Now that I see triangle on I dont like it as I feel it looks cheezy (on my car) and hides the carbs.

I could have added another 1/2 of height to the hood cowl when I was building it but when I put the template together the clearances I needed it made the top side of the hood even with the top of the cowl vent and I thought to my self "self why add any more hieght it looks like it was made for the car".

I want to build another hood with a C4 donnor hood ( trying to add some curveyness)but alot of folks tell me not to bother this one is perfect.

I think I can just cut down the element and be done with it. Now I have to figure out how to remake the ignition sheilding in billet alluminum.

I agree that your hood is perfect. I am a little concerned that you will be loosing a lot of air flow with only a 1.5" element. Have you considered using your tri power base to build a custom air box that would follow the contour of the inner hood and have a duct out of the side to a remote mounted filter like a repro FI filter assembly. You can then duct air to the filter through the original FI duct hole in the left side of the core support. With your talents I'm sure that you could build something amazing that would breath and better show off the carbs.

tom

Tom the one I am getting is 17 1/2" I need 17. I should have it on Friday.I am still going to have some clearance problems with it. I really need an 1 1/2" air cleaner element.

You know when I was building my hood I was so positive the tri angle air cleaner was what I wanted, I sized that hood for that air cleaner. Now that I see triangle on I dont like it as I feel it looks cheezy (on my car) and hides the carbs.

I could have added another 1/2 of height to the hood cowl when I was building it but when I put the template together the clearances I needed it made the top side of the hood even with the top of the cowl vent and I thought to my self "self why add any more hieght it looks like it was made for the car".

I want to build another hood with a C4 donnor hood ( trying to add some curveyness)but alot of folks tell me not to bother this one is perfect.

I think I can just cut down the element and be done with it. Now I have to figure out how to remake the ignition sheilding in billet alluminum.

You can get an air filter made to any height you want by k&N. I don't expect it will be cheap but they will make anything you want. I suspect you would need to send them an existing element so they know the shape.

I agree that your hood is perfect. I am a little concerned that you will be loosing a lot of air flow with only a 1.5" element. Have you considered using your tri power base to build a custom air box that would follow the contour of the inner hood and have a duct out of the side to a remote mounted filter like a repro FI filter assembly. You can then duct air to the filter through the original FI duct hole in the left side of the core support. With your talents I'm sure that you could build something amazing that would breath and better show off the carbs.

tom

Well

I am ok with the 1 1/2" element as the original tripower set up use them . My CFM is 250 a carb so my total CFM is only 750 as far as I knew the original ones had a larger CFM rating. I checked the circumfrance of the triangle to the circumfrance of the new air cleaner and I feel I am equal if not greater in filtering surface area.

My plan is to finish this up with the oval air cleaner i have coming.

My future plans will be for slightly bigger bottom plate.then a housing mounted to the hood ,then a chevelle ram air flapper in the top of my hood for a true cowl induction. But at this time i just dont have the energy to commit to doing this.

You can get an air filter made to any height you want by k&N. I don't expect it will be cheap but they will make anything you want. I suspect you would need to send them an existing element so they know the shape.

Thank you I did contact them and they explain they only custom make sizes in Large quainities

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom