Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lastest C6 Info. Camless Eng???

This is a great article and has about the most complete picture of the C6 that I have seen to date. It's good to see that Lutz has arrived and is going to be playing hardball with the Vipers and GT-40's.

Lutz is the man!

Brad

So, GM has not given up. Well, the bean counters haven't nixed it ; yet!

Now, why would I want a 50th?

With no timing chain and no excessive moving parts wouldn't the redline have the capabilty to run like 9000 RPM? I know serious rodders switch to belt sometimes for less vibration at high RPM as well as Honda using Belt to gain the RPM redlines they do.

Now with no belt no nothing it'd be the most balanced and most stable engine ever wouldn't it?

I just now got to read that article. Wow. I hope they'll be able to keep costs under control.

Greg

Now the site is suspended

I've tried to re-open that link for a friend, and now the site is suspended!!! Unbelievable luck. I don't know what that means. For those of you who did not get a chance to read it, the key points were:

1. Exterior should include exposed headlights, more C3-type curvy styling of the fenders. Possibly C3 door handles.

2. Engine will be Gen III smallblock (based on LS1/6) that may be camless. The article says that the engine will have electric valve open/close like the rotary engines on airplanes. This can give infinite duration.

3. The interior may be modelled after the Audi TT

4. Aluninum frame; the car should weigh about 300 lbs less than the C5

5. Wheelbase should be a few inches longer and the total length should be a few inches shorter.

6. Possibly a 5-speed automatic transmission

7. 42-volt electric system

8. Magnetic ride control

9. Testing is in progress already with cars wearing C5 bodies or XLR bodies

10. There is a new hydroforming process for the chassis which allows them to make the frame different thicknesses in different places to save weight.

11. Dave Hill plans to make all three trim levels available during the first model year (coupe, vert, Z0X)

The article claims that 16 people have already been fired from GM regarding leaks on the C6.

That's all I can remember right now. Sounds pretty cool, mostly credible.

Greg

don't forget the tailights. the report claimed that there would be tailights paired, but set together possibly under the same cover. which would support the claim of the rear bumper in the BG plant
and correct me if i'm wrong, but he said that the electronic valve timing was only being considered an option on the Z0x, didn't he?
NO power on demand.
HID or xenon lamps.
larger side vents and an all around more muscular exterior.
those are the only other things i could think of

Thanks for the info. Sounds great. We will have to wait and see what the real C6 will look like.

Re: Now the site is suspended

LMN8R said:
I've tried to re-open that link for a friend, and now the site is suspended!!! Unbelievable luck. I don't know what that means. For those of you who did not get a chance to read it, the key points were:

1. Exterior should include exposed headlights, more C3-type curvy styling of the fenders. Possibly C3 door handles. (check!)

2. Engine will be Gen III smallblock (based on LS1/6) that may be camless. The article says that the engine will have electric valve open/close like the rotary engines on airplanes. This can give infinite duration. (not on my list of believables)

3. The interior may be modelled after the Audi TT( should be outsourced and produced outside GM)

4. Aluninum frame; the car should weigh about 300 lbs less than the C5 (I would be surprised if this much weight is dropped)

5. Wheelbase should be a few inches longer and the total length should be a few inches shorter. (1.2 inch longer wheelbase to model new XLR)

6. Possibly a 5-speed automatic transmission (definitely)

7. 42-volt electric system (would be a precursor to many tech advances but the big question is what does the new XLR have?) The vette will match it most probably.

8. Magnetic ride control (the best type of its kind in the world)

9. Testing is in progress already with cars wearing C5 bodies or XLR bodies

10. There is a new hydroforming process for the chassis which allows them to make the frame different thicknesses in different places to save weight. (Weight decrease from this not aluminum imho)

11. Dave Hill plans to make all three trim levels available during the first model year (coupe, vert, Z0X) (hi po second year)

The article claims that 16 people have already been fired from GM regarding leaks on the C6.

That's all I can remember right now. Sounds pretty cool, mostly credible.

Greg

Greg, Thanks for some great insight!

Here's the article:

Major Information on the C6 and Future Z06!

Special from www.gminsidenews.com and www.GM-Cars.com!

For over two years the world has been hearing little tidbits about the next generation Corvette from the automotive press and in magazines. Some facts have been right, some way out in left field. The editors here at www.GM-Cars.com and ww.GMInsideNews.com have taken the last 6 months to dive headfirst into the onslaught of info, to dig out what’s right, and what’s wrong. We must tell though, that even we are not 100% of the “facts” presented in the following article. We’ve taken great pains to only publish accurate information, at the same time as keeping our sources as protected as we can. After all, security on C6 is the highest of any GM project ever, with any access well behind 3 or even 4 locked and guarded doors. But, some info has gotten out, and here it is.

Style:

Remember when Motor Trend came out with its first “C6 Scoop!”? The angular lines and exposed headlights in their renderings were surprisingly correct to the current styling models that were being worked on at General Motors at the time. But then something happened. Were not quite sure what sparked it, but the whole design was scrapped. “Too bland” was used to describe the models, so C6 went back to the drawing boards. In fact, the 2003 Viper had a little do to with it also. The MT drawings suggested very large and angular side vents on the C6, almost exactly like the ones on the 03 Viper. Now, C6 had them drawn first, but Viper was going to make it to production first. GM stylists didn’t want to be viewed as “copycats”.

Another feature shown was exposed headlights. What, exposed headlights on a Corvette? How could this be? Well, this part that MT got right, still applies. C6 is due to be the first Corvette in over 3 generations to have non-popup headlamps. But, don’t get to down yet. These new lamps will be either HID or Xeon lamps, with much greater visibility than ever before. Look for a little late C1 styling influence to creep its way into the reflector design.

In other areas, look for a more muscular design to grace the exterior. We’ve heard it described as an “Exaggerated C5”. Look for shorter overhangs front and rear that contribute to an overall shorter length, while the wheel base grows approximately 3-4 inches to accommodate the new 5-speed automatic (more on that later).

The side vents have also been described to us as C5R’ish looking, wider and larger than on the current C5. The rear will get a smaller treatment, and the familiar duel tail lamps will remain, but somewhat combined under one larger covering or indentation for each side. Look for larger bulges over the front wheels, as well as more pronounced C3 like humps over the rear wheels. We’ve also heard that C3 style door handles could be a possibility (which is backed up by the placement of the door handles on the XPR).

Chassis and Power:

So, the C6 is just a C5 re-skin, right? Wrong. Numerous chassis improvements are on the way. The most significant is the move to an all aluminum frame to reduce weight and improve structural strength. Aluminum? Isn’t the XLR’s steel frame based off the C6 frame? Well, yes it is based off it, but no, it’s not steel. GM’s keeping hush-hush about the fact that the XLR’s frame is really aluminum until close to production. This way they can throw off the public about any links to the C6. Another improvement is the refinement of the hydro-forming process. Hydro-forming is the process in which steel is blown up, almost like a balloon, with water, to expand into a preset mold. This stresses the metal very little, for a very strong frame. The only problem up until now is that hydro-forming creates a uniform thickness across the whole piece of metal. GM has discovered a new way of hydro-forming for the C6 that will allow metal thickness to be controlled over the whole length of the piece. This way, extra metal (and weight) is removed.

Speaking of weight, the standard C6 is expected to weight anywhere from 300-500lbs lighter than the current C5, and that goes for the new Z06 variant. Less weight is almost better than more horsepower, as you’re not losing any fuel efficiency with better performance. Chassis length has been increased mainly to accommodate the 5th gear in the new 5-speed automatic transmission. A new generation 42volt electrical system allows for smaller wiring harnesses, reduced weight, and more power hungry devices such as magnetic shocks, and other advanced technologies.

Now comes for the engines. This is the only part that the automotive magazines have totally gone wrong on. Here are two things that the C6 will not have for an engine: One with displacement on demand, and one with two cams in the block. Rumors about these two features have been plastered along side every C6 story we’ve read, but they are simply not true. But truth can be stranger than fiction as you will soon read. The base engine, dubbed LS2, will be based off the current LS6. It will retain its 400+hp status and OHV layout. Expect improved fuel economy, and performance (mostly due to the reduced weight). The strange part comes strait out of aviation history books. The high performance version of the C6 (possibly still named Z06) will be powered by a new generation of cam-less engine. That’s right, electronically actuated valves. Not only will this give the HP version of the C6 infinite valve timing, but close-to, if not north-of 500hp. Cam-less engines have been used for years in circular piston aircraft engines where placement of a cam is impossible. Since publication-we’ve gotten wind that this cam-less engine may not be available at the start of production-despite the fact that Dave Hill has promised all 3 versions at the start. Snake tamer is one word we look forward to using with the C6. This little bit of engine information has already gotten close to 14 people fired from GM, and is one of the C6’s most closely guarded secrets.

Interior:

Interior enrichment is on the top of the list for C6, with the Audi TT set as the basis to improve on. Expect little bits of aluminum, as well as more expensive looking pieces to be used. Rumor has the radio and HVAC controls being controlled by LCD screen, although we’re not sure if these reports are accurate. Another cool bit we’ve heard is being toyed around with, is the possibility for a completely digital instrument cluster, with the option of switching between digital and analog gauges. We think that’s being hopeful though, so don’t get disappointed if analog gauges are what finally gets the stamp.

Testing:

Believe it or not, there are “C6’s” out testing right now. Although, any that leave the testing grounds are either in C5 or covered XLR drab. C6 alphas are rumored to be just getting the new bodies inside the proving grounds in Arizona and Michigan. We’ve also had confirmation that testing has been done at one private track in the southeast United States during late winter. Reports state that the C6 mule out lapped a Z06 by a large margin. Also, we expect, but have no confirmation that C6 mules are to be tested in northern Canada and Australia starting this fall. And if your feeing brave, and want to try to take a look for yourself, C6’s have been reportedly spotted running down the large back strait-away at GM’s Milford proving grounds just before dawn in the recent weeks.

Brad

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom