LMN8R said:I've tried to re-open that link for a friend, and now the site is suspended!!! Unbelievable luck. I don't know what that means. For those of you who did not get a chance to read it, the key points were:
1. Exterior should include exposed headlights, more C3-type curvy styling of the fenders. Possibly C3 door handles. (check!)
2. Engine will be Gen III smallblock (based on LS1/6) that may be camless. The article says that the engine will have electric valve open/close like the rotary engines on airplanes. This can give infinite duration. (not on my list of believables)
3. The interior may be modelled after the Audi TT( should be outsourced and produced outside GM)
4. Aluninum frame; the car should weigh about 300 lbs less than the C5 (I would be surprised if this much weight is dropped)
5. Wheelbase should be a few inches longer and the total length should be a few inches shorter. (1.2 inch longer wheelbase to model new XLR)
6. Possibly a 5-speed automatic transmission (definitely)
7. 42-volt electric system (would be a precursor to many tech advances but the big question is what does the new XLR have?) The vette will match it most probably.
8. Magnetic ride control (the best type of its kind in the world)
9. Testing is in progress already with cars wearing C5 bodies or XLR bodies
10. There is a new hydroforming process for the chassis which allows them to make the frame different thicknesses in different places to save weight. (Weight decrease from this not aluminum imho)
11. Dave Hill plans to make all three trim levels available during the first model year (coupe, vert, Z0X) (hi po second year)
The article claims that 16 people have already been fired from GM regarding leaks on the C6.
That's all I can remember right now. Sounds pretty cool, mostly credible.