Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Leaking valve cover gaskets

78pacecargirl

Corvette
1978 Pace Car
Hi All! Once again it's time to replace the valve cover gaskets on my 78. Is it normal for these to leak every 3 or 4 years? I am using the original covers. Does anyone have experience with the Ultra-Seal gasket? What about Fel-Pro or Eldelbrock? Any recommendations are appreciated. :)

I'm using the Fel-Pros; no complaints about those. Watch the torque on valve cover bolts. It isn't much.

:)

Check your Chilton's, etc. These guys say 3 ft/lbs. http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/chevy_sb.htm

Most people make the mistake of laying on valve cover bolts with the idea the tighter they are the less they will leak. Too tight and all you do is cut the gaskets.

:)

Very True, I agree. Also what happens is the cover gets warped from overtightening and will no longer sit flat on the gasket. Take a look down the edge of the cover while it's in your hand and see that the sealing edge is nice and straight.

On my old L-48 with the OEM covers, I used those 3" or so brackets at each bolt and that cleared up my leaky covers.
(Sorry, I don't have a better description. I'm at work and don't have any pics handy either..)

UPDATE:
here, I found similar ones at Summit. LINK
trd-4993_w.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom