Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"Lemon Peel"

GS Diva

Moderator,
Corvette
2016 Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic Z06
Some of you may remember my '88 yellow convertible, lovingly called "Lemon Peel". Alas, she went out of the garage when the GS came into my life.
lol.gif
I heard that Lemon was back in this area (people who bought her live in North Adams, MA...far from the Boston area) at Baystate Motorsports in Malden, MA. My curiosity got the best of me yesterday so we took a ride up there to check her out.

It was not a pretty picture!! It's amazing how quickly a Corvette in virtually mint conditon can go downhill in 3 years. The weatherstripping was shot, nicks and dings everywhere, the black cloth top was in terrible condition, and I don't even want to tell you what the plastic back window looked like!
eek6.gif
The radio didn't work, clearcoating peeling off both side view mirrors, the entire inside had been coated with some sort of slick, greasy-looking "protectant"---yuck!

Very sad.
frown5.gif

Elaine

Sometimes you're better off NOT knowing.:ugh

I feel your pain Elaine. After all the TLC "lemon" received from you it had to be hard to see her in such a state of disrepair. I bet you gave thoughts to "buying, read rescuing her" from the owner. I know I would have.

I hate it when a passed baton gets dropped.:mad

Len:w

Some people just dont appreciate Vettes, like toms94 said sometimes your better off not knowing.

Hi Elaine,
I remember your "Lemon Peel" from many shows I have attended over the years, if I recall it had the Greenwood package. It was a show winner every time! BUT, this borders on abuse and should be reported to the proper authorities. Sounds like serious abuse and it should be removed from the current owner until a new, more respectful owner becomes available.

The Car Whisperer said:
Hi Elaine,
I remember your "Lemon Peel" from many shows I have attended over the years, if I recall it had the Greenwood package. It was a show winner every time! BUT, this borders on abuse and should be reported to the proper authorities. Sounds like serious abuse and it should be removed from the current owner until a new, more respectful owner becomes available.

Thanks, John. Actually, Lemon is at Baystate Motorsports in Malden and is now featured for sale on their site so I guess they've done some work. She looks better than when I saw her a few weeks ago, but we all know that pictures aren't always accurate!

I've asked the manager to keep in touch with me about the car. I know...it's sort of anal to be so attached and concerned, but what can I do?!:) I've been tempted (and encouraged by some friends) to buy her back!! Can't find enough time to adequately use the two we have now, never mind a third, so that won't happen!

Elaine

Bring her Home

6 Shooter said:
Elaine- Is this Lemon Peel? ;shrug
If that is lemon peel, I would never kick her out of my garage.. I would just build another garage for her to live in...
Mike R

I_R_DA_ONE said:
If that is lemon peel, I would never kick her out of my garage.. I would just build another garage for her to live in...
Mike R

Yes, that is Lemon Peel! And, Mike, you're killing me!!!! As much as I'd like to bring her home, let's face it. I don't have the time for 3 Corvettes...and the fact of the matter is, it's economically impractical for me to buy another one at this time of my life. Translate that to read: I'm trying to retire!:L

I said I'd always keep that '88 until the Grand Sport showed up. Now, how could I not buy that one??! And that one is a real keeper!

I'm just hoping that someone will come along and take good care of Lemon. It looks like some of the damage has been corrected, but let's face it...we're only looking at pictures!

Elaine

Last Friday night I saw my 88 convertible pulling in to cruise night as we were pulling out. I wanted to go back in the worst way but decided not to. The new owner has taken a few long trips in it and he does not care for it the way I did. This I have heard since a friend of mine lives across the road from him. I would love to sit inside and put the four speed through the gears again but I know I am better off remembering it as it was when it left my garage. I tell myself it is his car, he can plow the corn fields with it if he chooses. Thinking that way kinda relieves my guilt about selling it.

So sorry you found "Lemon Peel", you would have been better off not seeing it again.