Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lets heat the garage..

A friend of mine heats his shop and apt(shop is 1st floor apt is above it) with a used motor oil furnace, it is always warm in both and burns 1gal of used oil per hour.

As John and others have said insulation is a key factor. I have 6" walls, insulated doors and about 2 feet of blown in insulation over the ceiling. I have no moisture problem except in the spring when the floor slab is still cool and the outside air is humid. It will condense on the concrete if I leave the door open. The drivers aren't kept in this shop so I keep it closed up unless I need to take something in or out. It even stays cooler in the summer that way. I never let it get cold in there as I have lots of things that will freeze. The furnace is kept at about 50 when I'm not out there and rarely runs at that setting. If I get any condensation on the floor I just turn up the furnace and in short order it's dry in there again.

Shop around. High efficiency household type furnaces aren't that expensive. I got this one locally. My contractor got a deal on several from his distributor that took back new inventory from a store that went out of business. It's electronic ignition and draws combustion air from outside so I don't have to worry about fumes in the garage igniting. The exhaust is also pvc so it can just go through the wall to make installation simple. The ducting runs overhead and uses outlets in the ceiling. I think there are 5 total. This unit easily keeps the 3 car shop as warm as I want it no matter what it's like outside and I can open the walk through door and heat the 2 car garage where the drivers are kept also.

I think I put about $3100. in my heating system and It's a unit I can add central air to when I'm ready. You could install one yourself for big savings. Maybe close to half.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom